CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My 96 manual says connecting rod bolts to 25N.m + 110 degrees (18 lb ft + 110 degrees).

1. Liberally lubricate cylinder walls and piston ring and skin areas of piston with engine oil.

2. Remove connecting rod cap from connecting rod and install bearing inserts in both cap and rod. Be careful to locate bearing tangs in locating notches. Lubricate bearing inserts with engine oil.

3. using piston ring compressor position capless rod and piston in cylinder bore with arrow toward front of engine

4. using wood hammer handle, tap piston and connecting rod down into piston on crank pin

5. connecting rod cap with bearing in place over connecting rod bolts, make sure bearing lock tangs are aligned on same side of rod.

IMPORTANT: completely cover bearing surface with GM crankshaft prelube, bm p/n 1052367, before installation.

Make sure notches on bearing caps face each other for each pair of rods on a crank throw as shown in figure 79.

6. rod cap bolts lubricated with engine oil

TIGHTEN: rod bolts to 25 nm + 110 degrees (18 lb ft + 110 degrees).

7. remaining piston and connecting rod assemblies in the same manner. use J39946 to rotate crankshaft.

MEASURE: check connecting rod end play on crank in by tapping the two rods apart oat crank pin and checking with feeler gage. Endplay should be at least .2 mm but not mroe than 0.50 mm (0.008 in to 0.020 inches)

8. cylinder heads as previously described.

9. oil pan scraper / baffle

10. main bearing bolts

11 oil pump pickup

12 oil pan as described in this section.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

My 96 manual says connecting rod bolts to 25N.m + 110 degrees (18 lb ft + 110 degrees).

1. Liberally lubricate cylinder walls and piston ring and skin areas of piston with engine oil.

2. Remove connecting rod cap from connecting rod and install bearing inserts in both cap and rod. Be careful to locate bearing tangs in locating notches. Lubricate bearing inserts with engine oil.

3. using piston ring compressor position capless rod and piston in cylinder bore with arrow toward front of engine

4. using wood hammer handle, tap piston and connecting rod down into piston on crank pin

5. connecting rod cap with bearing in place over connecting rod bolts, make sure bearing lock tangs are aligned on same side of rod.

IMPORTANT: completely cover bearing surface with GM crankshaft prelube, bm p/n 1052367, before installation.

Make sure notches on bearing caps face each other for each pair of rods on a crank throw as shown in figure 79.

7. remaining piston and connecting rod assemblies in the same manner. use J39946 to rotate crankshaft.

MEASURE: check connecting rod end play on crank in by tapping the two rods apart oat crank pin and checking with feeler gage. Endplay should be at least .2 mm but not mroe than 0.50 mm (0.008 in to 0.020 inches)

10. main bearing bolts

11 oil pump pickup

sounds good. sorry bout the double post... computer got nuts on me. After much more searching I found something interesting on a pontiac fiero forum where they like to stuff a N* into those tiny cars. Interesting...

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/080614.html

10. main bearing bolts

11 oil pump pickup

sounds good. sorry bout the double post... computer got nuts on me. After much more searching I found something interesting on a pontiac fiero forum where they like to stuff a N* into those tiny cars. Interesting...

http://www.fiero.nl/...TML/080614.html

That's actually a great link. It's really hard to come by stuff like that on the internet.

I'm thinking about looking into buying another Caddy in the not-so-distant future...one with bad head gaskets that I can take apart, repair, and rebuild just for the experience of doing it. It's kind of nice to have a look into what I am going to be dealing with....though I'm sure it will be much worse when I actually get there.

big4870885.jpg