CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2002 Seville SLS...ran out of gas...

carguy63

My wife ran out of gas...car did restart after putting fuel in....cars seems to "chug" when running now...any ideas, maybe an injecter not primed or a bad fuel filter??? any help with this is appreciated....

Thanks in advance

If you ran the tank dry you may have sucked water that was in the tank into the fuel system it may take time to clear. Try a bottle of drygas.. Also, fuel in the tank cools the fuel pump, that said, an empty tank is never good. You should check fuel pressure with a gage attached to the fuel rail.

Also check for codes

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If you ran the tank dry you may have sucked water that was in the tank into the fuel system it may take time to clear. Try a bottle of drygas.. Also, fuel in the tank cools the fuel pump, that said, an empty tank is never good. You should check fuel pressure with a gage attached to the fuel rail.

Also check for codes

i would venture to say that it sounds like when it ran too low it may have sucked up something other than gas causing it to not run properly. It shouldnt take long with a bottle of dry gas and new gas. I do not recommend filling the tank too much though because if the fuel pump is the issue you want as little gas in the tank possible to drop the tank.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I do not recommend filling the tank too much though because if the fuel pump is the issue you want as little gas in the tank possible to drop the tank.

For the record; it is not necessary to "drop the tank" to replace the fuel pump assembly on a '98 - '04 Seville.

Also applies to 2000+ Deville models.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

lol i am so used to doing it by dropping the tank, I have only ever done one that i didnt have to drop the tank because there was an access under the back seat B)

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

ive always heard that running injectors with no gas ruins them. And maybe this guy has heard the same thing suggesting maybe the injectors are the problem. I think everyone elses solutions sound good but what are some opinions on injectors being ruined by running dry?

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I had to replace a fuel pump and filter once after running a 95 Nissan Sentra (it wasn't my car) out of gas. Sediment in the bottom of the tank clogged the sending unit in the pump. I changed the filter as well for good measure. This car had over 250k miles on it.

Then I had a 92 Buick Century with the 3.2 engine, fuel injected. The gas gauge didn't always work right, and I ran it out of gas 3 times in the 8 months I owned it...but never had a problem with it running poorly afterward, Ever. This car had only 48k miles on it.

I don't know for sure if there is a direct link to problems being caused by an injector running "dry". I've never had it happen to me. If it's running poorly my first guess would be the filter or the pump, personally.

big4870885.jpg

lol i am so used to doing it by dropping the tank, I have only ever done one that i didnt have to drop the tank because there was an access under the back seat B)

You may get your second chance.

Archived