CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Automatic Headlights Intermittent

coolnesss

On my 2002 ETC, the automatic headlights are, most of the time, turning on during daylight hours. Sometimes, they work correctly - most of the time, they stay on.

They turn off correctly and everything. There isn't anything covering the dashboard top. No codes.

Any clues gents and ladies?

Its usually the Twilight Sentinal Sensor that needs replacing, they go out of calibration

Sunload and Twilight Sentinel Sensor Replacement

Removal Procedure

Remove the defroster grille. Refer to Defroster Grille Replacement .

Disconnect the sunload (2) and the twilight (3) sensors from the defroster grille (1) by turning a quarter turn.

Remove the twilight sensor from the instrument panel harness socket.

Remove the instrument panel upper trim panel. Refer to Trim Pad Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Upper .

Disconnect the sunload sensor electrical connector.

Installation Procedure

Connect the sunload sensor electrical connector.

Install the instrument panel upper trim panel. Refer to Trim Pad Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Upper .

Install the twilight sensor to the instrument panel harness socket.

Install the sensors (2, 3) to the defroster grille (1) by turning a quarter turn.

Install the defroster grille. Refer to Defroster Grille Replacement .

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You might try cleaning it before you replace it. That worked with mine. When I first got it, the headlights were on all the time (when the car was on). I cleaned the sensor with windex and a q-tip (very gently) and it had a LOT of black dust and stuff come off it. They have worked fine ever since. Just a suggestion.

big4870885.jpg

Well when I first bought the car, I thought the headlights were supposed to be on when the car was on if you used the twilight selector instead of the regular headlight switch. Then one day I turned the twilight switch off to see if the headlights turned off, and they did but I got this message on the DIC that said "headlamp use recommended" or something like that. Then I read the owner's manual and I discovered that there was a sensor on the dashboard for the twilight switch, so I tried cleaning it, and it worked. So really, I didn't know any better at first, lol. I guess I had the twilight sentinel lights confused for daytime running lights. Live and learn, right?

big4870885.jpg

Archived