CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

major ac issue

Man this has been a real challenge. Car has always had a great ac system and has 114,000 on a 98 Deville) .first I had a compressor with a bad pump so we changed the compressor, dryer and orfice tube.. Full of tiny slivers of stuff from my compressor pump! Cleaned the system good and put it back together got a code B1314 ended up being a refrigerant temp sensor located right next to the orfice tube..OK system was cleared or cleaned very well due to all the debris from the bad compressor. After replacing the temp sensor the car cooled for 30 min and had a leak at a fitting , fixed the leak.. Than the orfice tube seemed clogged because of line temps before it and after it...too cold and too warm.. Now here’s the problem,,,,, the temp sensor is broke again because the orfice tube is being shoved past the sensor knocking the top off the sensor.. the high side pressure builds so much the car will not take r134a, the pressure shoves the orfice tube about an inch to far into the temp sensor, no leaks now and the system has been blown out or cleaned twice. Where or how do I find the problem?

Thanks guys for all your past and soon to be help!

Vanessa

Some questions: Did you flush the system with a solvent such as A/C flush or mineral spirits to remove all traces of shavings? Did you use a vacuum pump to evacuate the system prior to charging?

The orifice tube should not interfere with a sensor...The short end of the tube is installed toward the evaporator and the long end toward the condenser.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The orifice tube should not interfere with a sensor...The short end of the tube is installed toward the evaporator and the long end toward the condenser

OH! :unsure: well it's not that way on chevrolets or dodges! duh bet thats the problem, the orfice tube is installed backwards and pushes forward into the ref temp sensor and wacks the little sensor tip off...would the backwards orfice tube have any effect on the high side pressure? just wondering in case I have 2 issues..man can't believe we put the tube in backwards! well I'll get a new sensor and tube and try again.... Oh and yes we flushed the system with A/C flush and we did use a vacuum pump to evacuate the system prior to charging

Thanks

Vanessa

[OH! :unsure: well it's not that way on chevrolets or dodges! duh bet thats the problem, the orfice tube is installed backwards and pushes forward into the ref temp sensor and wacks the little sensor tip off...would the backwards orfice tube have any effect on the high side pressure? just wondering in case I have 2 issues..man can't believe we put the tube in backwards! well I'll get a new sensor and tube and try again.... Oh and yes we flushed the system with A/C flush and we did use a vacuum pump to evacuate the system prior to charging

Thanks

Vanessa

.....Or Buicks.... :)

Get a new orifice tube and sensor, evacuate and recharge and you should be back in business. Post back your progress.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I just got a price from Brasington, a new orifice tube is $2.08, and the accumulator is $44.98, not bad, ordering it today.

Kevin, when you get some time I would like to speak with you regarding the steps I need to take to do my AC compressor, accumulator and orifice tube. I won't get to it until next weekend. Do you have AIM? Thanks, Mike

No problem. While you're at it, buy a bottle of Nylog - it's an o-ring lube that has a pine-pitch like consistency. You will not have any leaks from the joints. A bottle is $5 or so - I think I got mine from acsource.com but you might be able to get it from a local refrigeration/AC distributor. If you can't find Nylog, use 525 viscosity refrigerant oil to lube the o-rings prior to assembly.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Vanessa or KHE... When you had your AC system apart did you notice if the line from the drier to the compressor had a double "o" ring on the end going into the drier?? (front hose) I have the wrong drier and line in my STS and I dont know if it is just the wrong year or the wrong car... No one around can figure it out... Thanks in advance.. MD

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Vanessa or KHE... When you had your AC system apart did you notice if the line from the drier to the compressor had a double "o" ring on the end going into the drier?? (front hose) I have the wrong drier and line in my STS and I dont know if it is just the wrong year or the wrong car... No one around can figure it out... Thanks in advance.. MD

I haven't had that connection open on my '96 but it probably wouldn't be the same as your '93.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

No problem. While you're at it, buy a bottle of Nylog - it's an o-ring lube that has a pine-pitch like consistency. You will not have any leaks from the joints. A bottle is $5 or so - I think I got mine from acsource.com but you might be able to get it from a local refrigeration/AC distributor. If you can't find Nylog, use 525 viscosity refrigerant oil to lube the o-rings prior to assembly.

Kevin, Thanks I will do that thanks for the tip! I hope to talk with you before I do this job, I am sure you have lots of tips that will help me. Plus I have a ton of questions, do you mind if I e-mail you my questions? Thanks, MIke

Plus I have a ton of questions, do you mind if I e-mail you my questions? Thanks, Mike

I don't mind. Feel free to e-mail me.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

[OH!  :unsure:  well it's not that way on chevrolets or dodges! duh bet thats the problem, the orfice tube is installed backwards and pushes forward into the ref temp sensor and wacks the little sensor tip off...would the backwards orfice tube have any effect on the high side pressure? just wondering in case I have 2 issues..man can't believe we put the tube in backwards! well I'll get a new sensor and  tube and try again.... Oh and yes we flushed the system with A/C flush and we did use a vacuum pump to evacuate the system prior to charging

Thanks

Vanessa

.....Or Buicks.... :)

Get a new orifice tube and sensor, evacuate and recharge and you should be back in business. Post back your progress.

Hey guess what? when you install the part CORRECTLY they work! My baby cools perfectly :D I have another piece of input..my car code was reading B1314 and when I went to the dealer to get a evap temp sensor the parts guy said 3 "97" devilles (mine's a 98) in repair shops in town were having the same problem and had replaced the "evap" temp sensors with no results, the code was still there, he recommended changing the "refergerant " temp sensor in the line by the evaporator, it was considerablity cheaper and worked..Thank you for you invaluable help :rolleyes:

Archived