CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tire Pressures Sensors

MrEldo97

Good morning,

The tire pressure sensors in the front wheels of Junior's '03 Seville STS are constantly leaking.

Any suggestions for a remedy?

I don't have the buggers in my '97 Eldorado so I have no experience with them.

Speaking of my Eldorado; as much as I like the new DTS and the DeVille I keep going back to the Eldorado...

And all of this technology I find off putting - I wouldn't use it all...Tire pressuer sensors? Yeah, I look at my tires and if they're low I fill 'em up. ;)

The Eldorado's style and shape just keep me enthralled - just like that beautifull woman who slaps you down whenever you wanna get it on... :huh:

A lot of small, slow leaks come from the bead area... where the tire makes contact with the rim.

If you are really "SURE" that it is the TPMS...they have little rubber seals on the inside of the wheels.

One or more of the seals may be dried out and leaking.

The rubber seals may need replacing.

On my car, there is a little nut on the valve stem on the "OUTSIDE" of the wheel.

You may want to check them to make sure they are tight...but not "TOO TIGHT"...as that may distort the rubber seals on the inside and actually "CAUSE" leakage, instead of preventing it. :D

I really like the TPMS.

My car is fairly sensitive to tire pressure for the best handling.

I keep the pressure "EXACT" by using the TPMS.

PS...that reminds me..the right rear on my car is 1 PSI lower than the left rear. I need to add i pound to it.

Posted Image

Thanks,

I'll check his valve stems...

"PS...that reminds me..the right rear on my car is 1 PSI lower than the left rear. I need to add i pound to it"...ROTFLMAO!!!

:D ... You thought I was kidding... :D

I was serious. I carry a 12V air compressor in the trunk.

I am pretty particular about my car. :D

Posted Image

Speaking of my Eldorado; as much as I like the new DTS and the DeVille I keep going back to the Eldorado...

Attaboy!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

This thread reminded me of a complaint I saw on the NHTSA.GOV web page the other day, it seems to me that the owner contributed to this a bit, this was under the TOPIC: TIRES:PRESSURE MONITORING AND REGULATING SYSTEMS

MY 2004 CAD. SRX SHOWED A LEFT REAR FLAT TIRE. I PULLED THE VEHICLE TO A LEVEL, ASPHALTED, SCENIC OVERLOOK AREA, 23 MILES FROM PAGE, AZ. I COULD NOT GET THE SHIFTER FROM DRIVE INTO PARK GEAR, NOR WOULD THE KEY TURN OR RELEASE FROM THE IGNITION. I GOT OUT TO CHECK AND CHANGE TIRE, SPARE WOULD NOT RELEASE, EITHER. I CALLED ON-STAR, GAVE EMERGENCY DETAILS, TO FIRST ADVISOR, THEN ADVANCE DIAGNOSTICS. I GOT OUT OF CAR, IT SURGED, BACKWARDS, WITH THE EMERGENCY BRAKE, COMPLETELY ON, AND IT ACCELERATED, TAKING ME WITH IT, I PUSHED AWAY, AND IT KEPT ACCELERATING OVER THE SCENIC OVERLOOK, BEING DESTROYED. ON-STAR NEVER CONTACTED THE POLICE, AMBULANCE, OR ME, EVEN 1 WEEK AFTER THE ACCIDENT, I HAD TO CALL THEM AND REQUEST THE AUDIO OR TRANSCRIPT OF THE MALFUNCTIONS, AND CRASH

So this fellows TIRE MONITOR giving him a message led to the "DESTRUCTION" of his SRX, it seems he got out of the car with it in gear, thinking that the e-brake would hold the car in place. Does the SRX have an auto parking brake release?, or is this a hand operated parking brake?

I guess its a good thing no one was in the car

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Attaboy!

The missus and I have pretty much decided to replace my (my name's on title and reg. :D ) black on black '97 with a white pearl (or whateverthef**k that fancy white is) with a light interior '02. Black interiors get mighty hot in Tampa Bay sun. IF I can find one with decent mileage when the time comes.

I have the TPM system in my '05 Deville - I inflated one of the tires to 40 PSI according to my handheld gage and the system still showed 30 psi for that tire.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have the TPM system in my '05 Deville - I inflated one of the tires to 40 PSI according to my handheld gage and the system still showed 30 psi for that tire.

I have not had that problem...yet.

Mine are exactly with my handheld gauge.

I just aired up the right rear that was 1 pound low.

Now I have 31 in the rear...and 32 in the front...just the way I like it for around town.

On long trips I run it at 32 rear and 34 front.

All pressures are checked when cold, of course.

Posted Image

I have not had that problem...yet.

Mine are exactly with my handheld gauge.

I just aired up the right rear that was 1 pound low.

Now I have 31 in the rear...and 32 in the front...just the way I like it for around town.

On long trips I run it at 32 rear and 34 front.

All pressures are checked when cold, of course.

Jim,

Do you turn the ignition to the "ON" position and then watch the tire pressure on the display while airing up the tires?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The sensors do not transmit pressure data unless the vehicle is moving. And even then, the data stream is not continuous.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Jim,

Do you turn the ignition to the "ON" position and then watch the tire pressure on the display while airing up the tires?

Yes...they react a little sluggish...so I put in a little air and wait a a little bit..then the display will change.

It is not instantaneous... there is a slight lag between what you are actually "DOING" and the display responding.

If you are in a hurry...and don't have the time or patience to wait a couple of extra minutes...Sometimes it is easier to over inflate by a pound or two...then over the next day or two... let a tiny bit out of whichever tire that is not exactly the way you want it.

I know...most of you think I am a nut...but I am just particular about my car.

PS...nevermind...my wife says that I am a nut also... :D:D:D

Posted Image

The sensors do not transmit pressure data unless the vehicle is moving. And even then, the data stream is not continuous.

JimD,

Mine do.

They will change...but kinda slowly...when the pressure is increased or decreased in the tire.

The data lags behind what you are doing to the pressure.

Posted Image

darn, I had a nice reply written, and lost it ... oh, to be a more patient typist. :D

Jim, you're not alone when it comes to being obsessive about tire pressure levels.

I always keep a pressure gauge and tread depth gauge in my car, and an air compressor in my garage, as well as a wheel torque wrench.

When I first drove 2 hrs to see my new 03 STS, I noticed with my gage that the rear tire was at 18lbs.

The dash tpms agreed with me. I told the dealer GM to fix the bead on the rim, and address a few other issues before I came back to test drive the

car.

When I test drove the car, the same tire was now at 28lbs ... the other 3 were at 32.

The mechanic tried to tell me that the tpms was off a bit, that the tire was fine ... I pulled out my gage, showed him he was wrong,

asked him to fill it up for my long drive home, and I'd fix it myself.

Today, I took the car in to fix the rim leak. Sure enough, the bead was badly corroded. It cleaned up nicely, and held pressure correctly.

As a side note, I suggested to the service writer that they be careful with the plastic lugnut covers, which twist easily.

Later, I peered through the window and saw the tire jockey removing my lugnut covers with an airgun.

Sure enough, he completely obliterated one cover :wipetears

Oh, and no one handtorques anymore, they just keep the airgun at 100lbs and blast away.

Off I went to my GM dealer to buy a new $4 lugnut cover.

At home, I readjusted all my tires to a low cold setting of 30lbs, and retorqued my lugnuts by hand.

Personally, I love the TPMS readouts ... they are very accurate on my car, and are in sync with my hand gauge.

I drive about a block, and they adjust correctly to any pressure adjustments I make in my garage.

Our roads up here are covered in a thick, broken layer of ice, almost like a mud rutted field, but its a mixture of ice, holes, and dry pavement.

So, I go with a low 30lbs around town cold, and they heat up to 31 or 32. Highway runs, I go with 32 cold on all 4 tires.

So Jim, you have obsessive company. I check my pressure daily in sub zero temps, and I handwash 2 to 3 times per week.

We've had a mild winter so far ... if the temps plummet, then I will go to a spray wash, but I'm very careful with the distance of the high pressure

spray ... and, I touch up when I arrive home.

It helps when you love the style and shine of your Cadillac.

I just hate handing my car over to strangers.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

So Jim, you have obsessive company. I check my pressure daily in sub zero temps, and I handwash 2 to 3 times per week.

We've had a mild winter so far ... if the temps plummet, then I will go to a spray wash, but I'm very careful with the distance of the high pressure

spray ... and, I touch up when I arrive home.

It helps when you love the style and shine of your Cadillac.

I just hate handing my car over to strangers.

I am with you on that one...for sure.

Even when I get my oil changed...I can see the oil change rack AND my car from the service writers desk, where I am standing, and I still hate for them to drive it the 50 feet to the oil change rack. :D

Posted Image

JimD,

Mine do.

They will change...but kinda slowly...when the pressure is increased or decreased in the tire.

Whoops; bitten by the difference between 2004 and 2006 models.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

JimD,

Mine do.

Whoops; bitten by the difference between 2004 and 2006 models.

Not a problem...

I wasn't trying to contradict you...was just mentioning the difference.

it's all good.

Posted Image

I was convinced that I had a bead leak on the RR as I gad to constantly add air. By the way, tire pressure monitors can't leak. They are attached to the bottom of the valve stem. I rotated the tires a month or two ago. That tire is on the front and no longer leaks. Don't ask. I have no explanation.

• 3 months later...

Question? Traded in my 97 Deville and pick up an 05 Deville. My after market wheels should

fit. The question is what happens with TPM system because the after market wheels do not have

the senors in them. can you disable the the TPM or just leave it alone?

The question is what happens with TPM system because the after market wheels do not have the senors in them.

?? Mount your TPMS sensors in the aftermarket wheels ??

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Mine do.

Mine do too, and slowly as you describe.

I only use this car for the highway, so I keep 32.5 psi in all 4 tires, cold (using my tiny Slime digital gauge). When I hit the road, heat increases the tire pressures to about 35 or 36 PSI, which gives me excellent fuel economy, and a pretty fair ride.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Mine do.

Mine do too, and slowly as you describe.

I only use this car for the highway, so I keep 32.5 psi in all 4 tires, cold (using my tiny Slime digital gauge).

When I hit the road, heat increases the tire pressures to about 35 or 36 PSI, which gives me excellent fuel economy, and a pretty fair ride.

Same here.

I have 33 cold in the front...31 cold in the rear.

On the road they will go up to 35 or 36.

If they ever go OVER 38... and are just cruising down the highway, just riding along, about half unconscious...like we do sometimes on a long trip...it will scare the bejeebers out of you. :D

The DIC lights up telling you to check (WHATEVER) tire...the chime is louder than normal and going crazy.

Your first thought is "DARN... I have a flat"

You stop..get out and walk around the car.

All tires look OK.

"THEN" you think to use the DIC to check the pressures...and find that one of them has got to 39psi.

That happened to me about three years ago...when I was running about 35 psi cold.

Dropped air pressure a little bit...it's never happened again.

Posted Image

Archived