CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 Deville steering sluggish

My 2000 DTS steering is sluggish and getting worse everyday. I replaced the long steering hose a couple months ago because it was leaking. And the fluid level is good. You can hear the pump groaning while turning the wheel in park and its just plain harder to turn then it should be.

Ive used BG powersteering additive in my old lumina when its power steering pump was groaning awefully and it took the groan away and was silent for 5 years till i sold it.

Is it the pump? Do i have air in the system? Surely air has worked out after a couple months. Should I try the additive? Its $10. Anything else to try?

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

We have seen a few racks cause this

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I just did the bleed technique. Lift the car, turn the wheel back and forth with the car off. Lots of bubbles came up. I didnt this about 30 times, bubbles were still being created, little ones. I took the car out, not much change.

Another odd happening I WOT it and it wasnt wanting to go, sounded ok but acted like it was on ice. After a couple times it went to normal, but i noticed one of the times i WOT it the voltage dropped. Its hesitated before lately too. And ive noticed recently a couple times at idle ive seen the voltage going down and the lights dimming until i give it some gas then the volts come back up to 14.5v

Is the belt slipping?

These are the only codes

P1860 - TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical

I dont know what that means.

i read up that 1860 is the torque converter switch and takes 10 hours to repair in a shop. The tranny fuse is ok so that solenoid is probably bad >(

So what am I looking at here, a $800+ tranny fix, maybe an alternator, maybe a powersteering pump or rack $200-400, a pothole ruined one of my tires so i need a new one, while messing with my steering i could hear the driverside air shock leaking could be shock or line... IS IT TIME TO TRADE THIS THING IN??? darn Ive fixed everything wrong with this car myself but now its looking like too much. I cant afford to take it anywhere. It only has 94k on it so its still worth something. Id feel bad selling it with so many problems so trading it to a dealer who doesnt know better but can fix it sounds good to me... darn i love this car but this is too much... <_<

My 2000 DTS steering is sluggish and getting worse everyday. I replaced the long steering hose a couple months ago because it was leaking. And the fluid level is good. You can hear the pump groaning while turning the wheel in park and its just plain harder to turn then it should be.

Ive used BG powersteering additive in my old lumina when its power steering pump was groaning awefully and it took the groan away and was silent for 5 years till i sold it.

Is it the pump? Do i have air in the system? Surely air has worked out after a couple months. Should I try the additive? Its $10. Anything else to try?

For what it's worth, I had this same problem this past summer. Steering got really stiff to the point where sometimes it felt like I had no power assist at all when taking corners but was fine at idle.

A new steering rack was the remedy but I really only replaced it because of a very small leak that was starting to occur at a couple drops overnight on the concrete.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2000 base DeVille & have had the power steering pump replaced 3 times in a 6 month span. The pump was bad the 1st time & the 90 day warranty on the rebuilt pumps took care of the other 2 times. The last time, though, the pulley was the cause of the pump having a problem. Apparently nothing went wrong until I turned the wheel to the stop & kept it there (making a u-turn on a small street with traffic)- anyway, the pulley seems to have been the culprit in my case. Since the pump & pulley were replaced, I have had no problem with the steering.

Chuck C

Due to the fact that you said your voltage was dropping AND you are having steering problems, I would definitely check the belt and the tensioner. Just my $.02

big4870885.jpg

Archived