CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cant find this Oil Leak

dushong

When I first noticed a oil leak in my car 2000 Cadillac Deville, it would only leak while i was driving. When ever i stopped at a light it would sometimes start smoking. i realized that the smoke was coming from the oil dropping on the exhaust and other parts of the hot engine. I would lose about a Quart a week, and during a 300 mile trip i would have to stop and put at least 3 quarts in on the way. When i look under the car the whole under belly around the engines is covered in oil. i cant see exactly where its coming from. I do however notice that the area right above the water pump next to that small belt has oil on it and that belt is covered in oil. I just cant pin point it. I also noticed under the front head gasket there is some clumps of oil and dirt, but there are no signs of dripping like the other spots. If someone has had this problem or one similar can you please give me a few pointers as to where it could be leaking from? I also just started to have a coolant leak. It seems as though its come from under the radiator somewhere.

The only thing I'm aware of that causes both oil and coolant to leak is a bad head gasket. I'm not saying that's your problem, just that it's the only one I'm aware of. There could be two separate issues here since they started leaking at different times.

Does the car overheat?

Is there any loss of power? White smoke from the exhaust?

Have you had the computer checked for any trouble codes? (not sure if this would be OBD1 or OBD2?)

I'm sure someone else will chime in on this one.

big4870885.jpg

You should check for leaks at the CAM covers, oil cooler lines if you have them, but, the Northstar can leak at the case half.

The upper and lower case halfs split at the centerline of the crankshaft and between them is a seal that can leak, the engine must be removed to fix it if it is leaking from that location.

You might try using a high mileage oil, it contains seal conditioners that may swell your seal to slow down the leak,

What viscosity oil are you using

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You need to clean off the oil/dirt buildup and then look for fresh leaks. Once the engine is clean, the leak should be easy to pinpoint if it is leaking that bad.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived