CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Marker out of cloth top?

I wasn't sure where else to post this, and it may seem kind of petty to some. I went outside a while ago to make sure my car was locked, and when I went to grab the driver side door handle I noticed that there was a GIANT black scribble on the cloth top of my car right above the door. My car has the imitation convertible top, and it's light tan, so it's extremely noticeable, and the exterior of my car is also in flawless condition aside from this new artwork someone so graciously adorned it with. Does anyone have any idea what will take this out without ruining the material? I'm pretty sure it's canvas, but not 100% sure on that. I was thinking of trying WD-40 or paint thinner, but I don't want to chance ruining it, as I said it is flawless otherwise. I am quite pi***d off about this, and heaven help the idiot who did this if ever I shall find them.

After I posted this, I realized it should probably have gone under "Cadillac Grooming: Details on Detailing, Looking Good and Showing" so my apologies for that. Bruce, if you feel so inclined as to move it, please do. My mistake.

big4870885.jpg

Some permanent marker stains may never come out, but there are several methods you can use for marker stains that will come out. Hairspray, rubbing alcohol, and nail polish remover work on all kinds of ink stains. For marker stains, you may also try pushing toothpaste through the stain and rinsing thoroughly, or dabbing the stain with orange cleaner.

Make haste slowly....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The only thing I've tried so far is laundry soap because I figured that would be safe. It didn't fade at all, which leads me to believe it's permanent marker. I'll give your suggestions a try. If nothing else, who knows, maybe by spring the snow will have taken it all out...

It's just frustrating. As if I wasn't having enough problems with my car already....someone had to go and pull this. If the car already looked bad, I probably wouldn't be so mad, but it's perfect....or was. grrrrr

big4870885.jpg

I would try some ink stain remover. Here are some:

http://www.amazon.com/WINK-Ink-stain-remov...howViewpoints=1

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=sear...amp;x=0&y=0

And here is something for the idiot who has done that to your Eldorado :)

http://www.amazon.com/16-Grizzly-Bear-Trap/dp/B00021UX6I

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I would not use nail polish remover - it contains acetone which will strip the paint/color of the top. You might try calling a detail shop and ask them - car detailers probably have seen almost everything.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

i have some stuff i got from a body shop distributor its made by 3M i think its called adhesive remover or something. Well it takes glue, stains, anything out of fabrics with EASE! Its safe for paint, I use it to easily remove sap and tar. Its definately worth a shot as it wont harm anything using it.

My other suggestion would be scrubbing in some orange clean hand cleaner, that stuff is supposed to work really good on stains on clothes, which i know from experience. Also can try carpet stain remover. All these would be safe and worth a try.

Hope something works!!

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Thanks. I think I have a tube of goo-gone, which is an adhesive remover so I will try that. I'm liking the bear trap idea for whoever did this to it, lol. Though I think maybe a shotgun to the arms after the bear trap catches his/her foot might be a good idea, just to be sure they get the point... I don't have enemies, so I don't see why anyone would have done this. And why just a scribble? Probably just some stupid neighborhood kids or something.

big4870885.jpg

treating it quickly will make a difference, not allowing it to fully fully dry in is probably key.

I also have some goo gone, its no comparison to the 3M brand stuff! Its like anything made by 3M compared to gimmick name stuff, 3M has tons of R&D behind their products where others dont. I only use 3M wax, it may cost 4x as much but it is 5x better than regular wax to me :D

Im thinking after trying everything, scrubbing all kinds of cleaners into it, there will probably be a little remnant of the marker left. In this case your choices are live with it or go to an auto body paint shop and buy some fabric paint. They can mix any color, it sticks really well, but of course up close you will probably tell the area you painted.

That sucks man, its probably better than someone keying your car though, getting stains out of cloth or clothes is easier than getting large scratches out of paint. I would think the cloth tops are treated pretty heavily with anti stain stuff, hopefully something works.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I'm sure it won't come out completely. It hasn't had a chance to dry. It's been raining and/or snowing here since I noticed it. It must have been done when it was dry outside yesterday afternoon. I know it wasn't there in the morning when I took the car out. I would have seen it.

Finding out who did it and kicking them may not get the stain out, but it sure would make me feel better! =)

big4870885.jpg

Unless you are reconciled to replacing the top, I would talk to an auto detailing shop nearby. Experimenting on the top is pretty much sure to stain or scar it no matter what your success is with the marker. But, this has *got* to be a common enough problem so that if there is a reasonable solution, a good detailing shop will know it and have it ready to go. In fact, if the first one I showed it to didn't help, I would try another.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Unless you are reconciled to replacing the top, I would talk to an auto detailing shop nearby. Experimenting on the top is pretty much sure to stain or scar it no matter what your success is with the marker. But, this has *got* to be a common enough problem so that if there is a reasonable solution, a good detailing shop will know it and have it ready to go. In fact, if the first one I showed it to didn't help, I would try another.

There is one place a few miles from here. I can give them a call and see if they have any suggestions. I would just bring it there, but well, my car doesn't run well right now...heck I don't even think I could call what it does a limp at the moment, lol. I can't see replacing the whole top just because some a** decided to draw on it. Eventually if I have the extra money and NOTHING takes it out, then maybe.

big4870885.jpg

Archived