CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Mr. Flash-your-lights-to-warn-of-a-Police Stop, Meet Mr. Police Officer

DRIVER CHARGED FOR FLASHING HIGHBEAMS

HAMILTON TWP. -- A 24-year-old Hamilton Twp. man is likely wishing he had refrained from flashing his lights at an oncoming police officer Jan. 9 .

At 7:30 p.m. on Dale Road, Port Hope, the approaching driver started to flash his high beams to warn of an upcoming RIDE (Reduce Impaired Driving Everywhere) check, not knowing it was a police car he was warning.

The driver was stopped and found to be driving while disqualified under the Criminal Code. He was charged accordingly and his 2006 Cadillac has been impounded for 45 days.

He will appear in Criminal Court in Cobourg next month.

Source: http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/Article....aspx?e=2262488

To be clear, he was stopped due to the flashing his brights at an oncoming police officer.

He was charged and the car impounded due to other issues.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I have warned on coming drivers on the highway of speed traps, but I would be reluctant to warn on coming drivers of a sobriety test

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Come to think of it, how did he get through the sobriety test? Around here, they do check the license of the driver of the car, and anyone else that they care to. That should've allowed them to catch an unlicensed driver.

Come to think of it, how did he get through the sobriety test? Around here, they do check the license of the driver of the car, and anyone else that they care to. That should've allowed them to catch an unlicensed driver.

Good question...

Maybe they were just having the check on one side of the road ??

Posted Image

The last I knew, the sobriety check lanes were ruled unreasonable search and against the constitution in the USA. Michigan does not have them but a cop can use any excuse to pull over someone suspected of having too much joy-juice...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

In a slip opinion (also see this link), a New York court ruled that a mere flashing of high beams is not illegal. It really depends on the wording of state law. Having said this, I will not flash my high beams to warn others of a police officer hiding. My view is that if someone is speeding like a maniac, I will not aid the person's stupidity. We all need to take responsibility for the way we drive. In New Jersey there are a lot of nuts on the road, and frankly, I wouldn't mind them getting pulled over by cop who happened to be hiding. Police officers are generally very reasonable, particularly when you show them respect. They will not generally pull people over for safely going with the flow of traffic.

I always flash to warn of a speed trap. I do have a problem with DUI road blocks but that is another issue.

Speed traps have nothing to do with speed limit enforcement and every thing to do with revenue enhancement.

State and local authorities are whores when it comes to extorting more money from citizens' and I do what I can to help my fellow citizens hang onto their loot.

BTW, I watch my speed, don't drink and drive (almost killed by a drunk driver once...) and I don't talk on my cell phone or text while I'm driving. I'm not perfect, but when I'm behind the wheel my driving is my one and only activity.

I can't flash brights to warn of speed traps.

HID lights do not have the "FLASH TO PASS" feature...unless the headlights are already "ON"...then they do.

But...that being said...I used to do it all the time, and still would, if I could.

I agree with MtEldo97...it is "ALL" about revenue enhancement...not law enforcement.

When you get stopped and get a ticket for 57 in a 55...that "IS NOT" about law enforcement...it is all about making money for the town.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

:lol::lol::lol:

Posted Image

And the really sad thing is that such stupid, and ignorant behavior on the part of local authorities has such a corrosive effect on society as evidenced by some of our comments.

You are right again.

I actually applied to be a police officer in 1970.

I thought it was a fine and honorable profession to be in.

I was a little over 1/4 inch too short.

You had to be at least 5 foot 8 inches tall, and I was just a hair under that.

I no longer believe the part about it being a fine and honorable profession.

Today, that would be one of the LAST jobs in the world I would want.

I no longer have any respect for cops.

I have only talked to one in the last 20 / 25 years that didn't seem to be on a power trip and that didn't act like the old bully from high school that we all knew.

Maybe I have just had bad luck, but from stories I hear from other people, they now have about the same experience with cops that I do.

Posted Image

And the really sad thing is that such stupid, and ignorant behavior on the part of local authorities has such a corrosive effect on society as evidenced by some of our comments.

I no longer have any respect for cops.

I have only talked to one in the last 20 / 25 years that didn't seem to be on a power trip and that didn't act like the old bully from high school that we all knew.

My theory: The ones on a power trip were the ones that were picked on in high school and now they're getting even with everyone...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Ditto... I was born and brought up in Worcester, Ma and Worcester has had problems with the WPD as far back as I can remember (I'm 58). Corruption, police brutality, all powerfull union, corrupt entrenched democRat machine protecting the WPD. I watched a coupla Worcester cops beat two guys once (early '73 - '74) - killed one (not the only death over the years either) and put the second in the hospital. And then they put the word on the street that any witnesses who testified could end up the same way... It was a huge scandal at the time, but nothing ever came of it. The two cops retired from the WPD a few years ago. Worcester tried to fire both but Civil Service in cahoots with the union and local democRat apologisits prevented their removal. I could go on and on about the s**t I saw WPD cops pull. There is a current scandal over the public's right to access police records. The WPD blacked out 100% of the 764 pages requested by the local newspaper...the beat goes on. To be sure we need LEOs and I am very cynical when it comes to the publics' dealing with police and what happens when an entrenched political machine gives a public employee union total power. Another point - remember Frank Serpico and the Knapp Commision in NYC?

Archived