CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bridgestone G019 tire will not seat on rim!

tireman99

I have a 2005 STS with a 235/50R17 on the front. I purchased some Bridgestone G019 tires and they will not seat on the front OE GM rims. Tried 2 tires, flipped them, rotated 4 times at 1/4 turn increments. Lubricated with standard lube and the no-no; powerlube. Inflated to very high levels of pressure.

Nothing would make the bead completely seat.

Has anyone experienced this with this car or this select tire and size?

Thanks!

The only thing I can think of is...really hard beads on the tires and maybe a little roughness of the wheel is keeping them from sealing.

Years ago I had some tires do that.

A good firm whack on the wheel with a rawhide mallet at the leaking area would make them seal.

Good luck.

Posted Image

Chrome plated aluminum rims per chance? Pitted? Corroded? You need to have the chrome removed from the inside of the wheels. BTDT.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

The only thing I can think of is...really hard beads on the tires and maybe a little roughness of the wheel is keeping them from sealing.

Years ago I had some tires do that.

A good firm whack on the wheel with a rawhide mallet at the leaking area would make them seal.

Good luck.

Thanks for your thoughts Jim. The tire was not actually leaking, it would not completely conform to the wheel - even though it was sealed tight. We did try that anyhow during the installation and we could not get either tire on the front wheels to fully seat on one side. Always was the face side too. Makes me think the wheel is a couple degrees off in its taper versus this tire.

I contacted Bridgestone and they asked to ship them to their testing center.

Chrome plated aluminum rims per chance? Pitted? Corroded? You need to have the chrome removed from the inside of the wheels. BTDT.

Correct, they are chrome plated; however oxidation has not yet occurred even though it is famous on these rims that are dipped. They have a very clean inner lip. OE wheels is what really has me puzzled.

One thing the Bridgestone tire has that the OE Michelin did not is the rim guard. It was not hanging up on the rim guard though. It was past that point, just not completely seated.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Archived