CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

heat

ricrice

Could be clogged heater core. You can check this by taking off the hoses to the heater core and back flushing with a water hose. Check to see if your plastic heater box cover is still intact. On some models the plastic gets brittle and breaks up. Look around the fan motor to see if there are any broken pieces. Also if your antifreeze is not at 50/50 this will cause heating problems.

I have a 99 SLS with 70,000 miles on it. My problem is that I get no heat.

Could be any number of conditions from a clogged cooling system air purge line to mix door actuators inside the cabin.

You can narrow down the shopping list of possibilities by displaying your Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC); here's how-to for your 1999 Seville. You are most interested in "B" codes. Write them down and post them here.

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

a simple but overlooked cause could be low coolant. Your car can be low enough to prevent the heater from getting hot without the gauge showing overheated. A sure sign of low coolant would be if you rev your engine and you can get warm air.

Straight water will provide just as much heat as a 50/50 mix will.

Low coolant should trip the CHECK COOLANT LEVEL message long before any air gets into the heater core.

• 2 weeks later...
Also if your antifreeze is not at 50/50 this will cause heating problems.

Why?

It has to do with the outside temperature. If a car has more or less than 50/50 it causes the antifreeze to freeze quicker in cold weather conditions say around 0 to 20 degrees. All I know is when I had this problem in really cold temperatures the Guru pointed this out to me.

Also if your antifreeze is not at 50/50 this will cause heating problems.

Why?

It has to do with the outside temperature. If a car has more or less than 50/50 it causes the antifreeze to freeze quicker in cold weather conditions say around 0 to 20 degrees.

compared to what?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

make sure coolant level is ok. than get motor to operating temp. check heater hoses thru firewall to see how warm they feel. if they are hot, than heater core is probably ok. the next step would be to check air blend door under dash.

Archived