CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Battery Problem or Battery Saver Switch?

alno1995

My 99 STS wouldnt start today, until I jump started in. It wasn't very cold today about 50 deg. It has an 85 month Interstate battery bought in Feb 2006, so it is about 4 years old. After I jump started it, it seemed fine. The guys up at O Reillys checked the battery with a meter and it said it had about 12.4 Volts and tested good. The alternator was putting out about 13.8 volts and tested OK. I though maybe an interior light got left on, but that doesnt make any sense with the auto shutoff battery saver feature. Do you think it is time for a new battery?? or have you heard of the saver switch not shutting the interior lights off?It had only sat overnite. The battery OReillys had is $134 so I wanted to be sure before I replaced it. Not showing any codes. Showing 14.1v after starting Have started it numerous times after this one incident throughout the day. Thanks in advance for any advice. ^_^

My 99 STS wouldnt start today, until I jump started in. It wasn't very cold today about 50 deg. It has an 85 month Interstate battery bought in Feb 2006, so it is about 4 years old. After I jump started it, it seemed fine. The guys up at O Reillys checked the battery with a meter and it said it had about 12.4 Volts and tested good. The alternator was putting out about 13.8 volts and tested OK. I though maybe an interior light got left on, but that doesnt make any sense with the auto shutoff battery saver feature. Do you think it is time for a new battery?? or have you heard of the saver switch not shutting the interior lights off?It had only sat overnite. The battery OReillys had is $134 so I wanted to be sure before I replaced it. Not showing any codes. Showing 14.1v after starting Have started it numerous times after this one incident throughout the day. Thanks in advance for any advice. ^_^

Any name branded battery can and will fail without symptoms. Even a "new" off-the-shelf battery can be faulty. I am particularily suspicious of batteries branded "other than" ACDELCO.

If your battery is capable of cranking and starting the engine, that is all a battery is expected to accomplish.

Voltage readings can be informative - or deceptive; it depends on the situation.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

i agree. my 2yr old battery died awhile back. replaced with same brand. i think the prorated warranty only applied to replacing with identical battery. i think your battery is 74-78 series? common size. many stores sell them. ac-delco is nice but certainly not the only brand out there.

You could also have a dead cell. You have to check the acid in each cell with a battery hydrometer. If there is a noticeable difference between reading in any of the cells it is probably a bad battery. They can pass a load test and still have a bad cell. Just my 2 cents!

Never bet anything important on the health of a horse -- or a battery.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived