CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

"Speed limited to 145 km / hour (90 mpg)"

I'm having a problem with my 97 Seville STS with a speed limited to 145 km / hour message. Overall I can't feel any difference in how it's running, shifting, riding, etc.. Just had this message pop up today. First really wet day of winter here in Southern Ontario so I was hoping it was just some moisture somewhere but after driving for a good few hours today the it's still gimping me.

The codes I've got are (My car is a 97 Seville STS, but I assume the codes translate the same as on a 99 since they should both be full OBD II):

-P404 (history) which I *think* is just an EGR valve underperforming. This one has been coming and going with a check engine light shortly after start up once every 2 or 3 weeks for the last 3 months. Since I've had it on and off before and never had the speed limited I don't think this is the cause.

-P603 (history) control module long term memory cleared? Pretty sure this ones been triggered before aswell, although I haven't really cleared my codes that I'm aware of in a few months. Doubt it's this, but I'm not sure.

-B1341 (history) Air mix door 2 movement fualt? Not sure what that's about.

-C1716 (current) RF damper actuator short to ground

-C1717 (current) RF damper actuator open ckt.

Now I would possibly suspect those last 2 to be the culprit, however the 1717 has been thrown for a month and I've only gotten the "Service Ride Control Soon" message. (no speed limited message until today) I've kind of let it slide as I've been busy but I guess I need to be looking after it now.

Should I start with the damper actuator problem (and uh... nooby question whats a damper actuator - I assume it's something up on the right front suspension, or the wires going to / from it?)? Or is more likely to be something else since those codes have been there before today without the speed limiting?

I haven't done anything but read the codes today (waiting for tommorow when I can pull it inside out of the rain), but any suggestions / help would be much appreciated.

-C1716 (current) RF damper actuator short to ground

-C1717 (current) RF damper actuator open ckt.

Now I would possibly suspect those last 2 to be the culprit, however the 1717 has been thrown for a month and I've only gotten the "Service Ride Control Soon" message. (no speed limited message until today) I've kind of let it slide as I've been busy but I guess I need to be looking after it now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C1716....My guess would be, that a wire has been rubbing and rubbed the insulation off.

C1717...."NOW" the wire is either wore all the way thru, or broken.

That would explain the sequence of codes and your message.

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

Late update. I wanted to take a picture, but I still can't find the camera. Long story short I haven't found any bad connections, or frayed wires. What's worse is that I've discovered that if I disconect the little white / blue connector thats just ahead of the wheel, behind the fender / plastic skirting, but not in the engine compartment, the messages go away, the computer changes the suspension code's to history instead of current, and my car is a message free zone. There doesn't seem to be any difference in the way the car rides with it apart, and the suspension on that side of the car seems to be fine. I assume that the sensor itself must be the problem, but I'm not yet sure how to check that. In any event though, I find it really odd that opening the circuit eliminates the open circuit code. Now... being as it really hasn't caused me any differences / troubles, I've sort of left it alone while Ive been busy with Christmas / etc... But now that I've got some time again, I'm gonna go back to tinkering with it to get it fixed right. There's a little voice telling me by leaving it alone I'm cheating myself out of some of the awsomeness that is the Cadillac. I'll update again whenever I figure it out.

Archived