CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CTS starting problems

kc10105

My CTS has had trouble starting lately. It will crank, but the engine will not turn over. After 10 minutes all sudden it starts right just fine. Last week this happened to me and after driving the car for 6 days it was fine. This morning however while at a red light 2 minutes from my home the car stopped. I tried starting it and nothing, the same as before, it cranks but fails to turn over. Here are the DTC Codes I was able to pull out:

P0446- EVAP Vent Solenoid Valve Control System

P2107- Throttle Actuator Control Module Internal Circuit

P0161- Heated oxygen sensor

P0160- Heated oxygen sensor

I have known that I had issues with O2 sensors for some time, a mechanic told a few months back that they were faulty. But that I could still drive the car.

I am thinking it could be the crank positioning sensor,,but not sure...any suggestions or ideas before I take this in to a shop or begin buying the parts and fixing this myself...

Thanks in advance guys.

My guess...based on the codes you listed, would be this one... P2107- Throttle Actuator Control Module Internal Circuit

If I understand correctly how it works...if there is any problem with the throttle control circuit...you can't give it any gas.

No Gas = No Start.

This one...P0446- EVAP Vent Solenoid Valve Control System...can cause hard starting and it could also cause it to stall.

These two are where I would start looking.

Posted Image

My guess...based on the codes you listed, would be this one... P2107- Throttle Actuator Control Module Internal Circuit

If I understand correctly how it works...if there is any problem with the throttle control circuit...you can't give it any gas.

No Gas = No Start.

This one...P0446- EVAP Vent Solenoid Valve Control System...can cause hard starting and it could also cause it to stall.

These two are where I would start looking.

it can also be a failing or weak fuel pump. You might want to consider connecting a gauge up to the fuel line while starting so you can measure the fuel PSI. sometimes a code is the result of another failure. it'll be cheaper than throwing expensive electrical parts at it that are not returnable

Okay. I think i am starting to narrow the starting issue down. A friend advised me to reset the codes before I began buying parts or taking it to shop so I could see what codes would come back. So I did and so far the only codes that returned were

P0161- Heated oxygen sensor

P0160- Heated oxygen sensor

But this afternoon when I went to start the engine again, same problem as before, it cranked but would not turn over. I immediately scanned for the codes and the P2107 code returned. The P0446 Evap has not returned.

So the problem I believe lies with the Throttle Actuator Control Module Internal Circuit. So far Ive been told it could be a wire to the IAC is faulty, the IAC itself is faulty or that a pintle somewhere on the IAC might be dirty with carbon deposits. Does any one know how to remove this and clean it? If so, can I clean it with carburetor cleaner?

Thanks,

Its not likely the IAC, that only compensates for a dirty throttle body to facilitate the idle speed. It would not likely stop you from starting.

Lets see what others have to say

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

When it happens next time (no start) I would just locate and disconnect EVAP Vent Solenoid Valve and Throttle Actuator Control Module (one at a time) and see if it helps to start.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived