CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

battery check

GOOB

correct me if i am wrong, but don't i need to disconnect the battery before checking the charge...and is there a "required" waiting period after driving (since it's gonna get a charge when the engine is running)? seems like a fairly simple procedure but my wife's battery keeps dying and when she takes it in to check it, they always tell her it is fully charged.

thanx in advance

Here is a very simple chack to perform to see if your alternator is charging;

1. With the engine turned off, take a voltmeter, (can purchase at Walmart, Radio Shack, etc... the cheapest one say $5.00 is ok), take a voltage measurement across the terminals of the battery. No need to disconnect it..should be 12 volts give or take .75 or so. Actual measurement is not quantatively critical.

2. Then start the car, leave it running, take another measurement. This reading should be higher than the first. If it is, then your system is charging, if not, then it is not charging.

You can also use your on-board voltage meter built into the car (especially if it is a digital readout), turn key on WITHOUT starting, take a reading, then START it and observe that reading while running. The same method of analysis applies... hope this helps. :rolleyes:

You can also use your on-board voltage meter built into the car (especially if it is a digital readout), turn key on WITHOUT starting, take a reading, then START it and observe that reading while running. The same method of analysis applies... hope this helps. :rolleyes:

thanks prop washer.

my bad though...i should've identified that i'm not talking about the caddy on this one but my wife's camry so i have no onboard diagnostics.

she is ALWAYS leaving something on in that car and i am sure that the battery is about done for. almost all starts (ESPECIALLY the first start of the day) are sluggish. i think it is checking good when she takes it in to the shop because the alternator charges it during the drive over. i NEED to put it in my trunk and let it sit over night and then take it .

A quick way that I use constantly to check to see if it's charging is turning on all the lights, including the high beams, also blast the interior fan and turn on everything electrtical at night so you can see the headlights and then rev the engine.. the headlights should brighten.. if they don't brighten something is wrong. Now you may not be as sensitive to light changes as I am so u might not notice it.. voltmeter is the best way to go then :>

Go to Walmart or similar cheap place and pick up a cheap battery tester (small glass tube with balls in it - which measures the specific gravity) Draw liquid from each cell and see how many balls float - if they don't all float, you probably have one or more dead cells (if your battery is supposedly charged). A battery with one or two bad cells will still show 12 volts but will not carry the amperage required to turn the motor over after it sits overnite, but will still start the car after driving it for awhile.

If you do have a volt meter, and it shows less than 12 volts, you need a new battery.

Careful with the battery acid from the battery, it will eat you and your clothes if you get it on you. :(

Archived