CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Steering belt problems

Just bought a '86 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance a week ago for 200. It is in pretty decent shape (one minor ding on back door-plastic fin covers broken and some oxidation of paint) The interior is exelent. It has run fine for the first 6 days I had it. Then one day going home from work the power steering belt started squeaking. The next morning when went to start car the battery was dead.(no warning light came on) My son came over and replaced the PS belt and tightened the alternator belt for me. (people i bought car from said they had to retighten the alt belt from time to time-I think they replaced the alternator and possibly it is wrong one cause there is a bracket behind the alt that isn't connected to it or anything else and the bolt hole on back of alt is on opposite side of where the bracket bolt would go.).

Anyway, we jumped the car and it ran fine that day. The next morning the battery was once more dead. When I checked, the power steering belt was backwards - groves were on outside and the smooth part of belt was touching pulleys. I am not sure how long the day before the belt ran like this...this time it made no squeaking noise. Replaced the belt once again...made sure PS pump was back and that the belt was tight. Retightened the alt belt again. Low and behold...after running the car for only 1/2 hour, checked and the belt is once again flipped around. And the alt belt is lose again. Even though the 2 bolts that tightened before haven't moved or backed off. When first put this last PS belt on...watched and there didn't seem to be any wobble between it and the main pulley.

Any ideas? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am a single mom, so try to do what I can myself before having to take cars to the shop.

Thanks so much.

Your pulleys are most likely out of alignment. Use a straight edge and place it against as many as you can to determine which accessory is out of alignment. Typically when the alternator is replaced it may need to be shimmed somewhat to ensure the proper alignment. Another symtom of this is that the belt will be squeaky.

Ok, will do, thanks for the response. Man I love this car...the best part is being able to open the drivers door and get out without having to roll down the window and reach outside! lol

Archived