CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 deville STS code pcm 0340

My wrecked 96 Seville STS now drives very nicely but it has a fw codes that I need to clear -

When I started it had a dozen codes but now only 4 remain unresolved:

pcm0340 which I think triggers the service ignition message on the dash readout

sd codes for left and right air bags ... What can I do to trick the computer into thinking the air bags are still good? The message service air bags flashes regularly and the airbag light stays on.

Also there is an ac code that I think is for the ambient air sensor which looks functional but must be broken as it hangs down lose

What does it mean options not set? That code falshes continously also.

What are the steps to make the computer show the coolant temp?

Where is the oil level sensor as the message check oil level flashes continually too.

Is the tranction light supposed to stay lit?

I assume that the service engine light will stay lit uptil the pcm0340 issue gets resolved ...

any help is appreciated ... please do if possible also send a copy of your replies to ibmpro@ez2.net or ibmpro@yahoo.com

thanks

Bob Mc Knight

29856 Avenida de Fiesta

Sun City, CA 92586-6508

DTC P0340 IC Module Cam Reference CKT No Frequency

Circuit Description

The diagnostic test checks for CAM reference pulses not received when 4X reference pulses are being received. This indicates a CAM sensor circuit failure and DTC P0340 is set.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

Test Conditions

DTC P0322 not set.

4X reference pulses being received.

Engine speed 1600 RPM or less.

Failure Condition

A CAM reference pulse was not received for 5.3 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The PCM will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.

The PCM will record operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. This information will be stored in the Freeze Frame and Failure Records.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The PCM will turn the MIL OFF after three consecutive drive trips that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

A Last Test Failed (current) DTC will clear when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

A History DTC will clear after forty consecutive warm-up cycles with no failures of any emission related diagnostic test.

Use a scan tool to clear DTCs.

Interrupting PCM battery voltage may or may not clear DTCs. This practice is not recommended. Refer to Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM Description and Operation.

Test Description

Number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the Diagnostic Table.

Check to see if DTC P1376 is set because a REF LO problem can cause other ignition problems.

Checking the resistance of the camshaft position sensor. The resistance should be 800 to 2100 ohms. If the resistance is greater, check for an open or if it is less, check for a short to ground or each other.

To ensure acuurate voltage readings, connect the DMM J 39200 to the sensor before recording the Peak Min Max voltage. If the sensor is able to produce a voltage greater than 0.2 volt the sensor is OK. A typical cam sensor should produce an average of 1 volt. Duplicate this test on a known good vehicle to get a comparison voltage if a marginal cam sensor is suspected.

Please fix the airbags. There is a way to trick the module. But its not the correct way to fix it.

Logan

www.airbagcrash.com

www.logandiagnostic.com

• 5 years later...
DTC P0340 IC Module Cam Reference CKT No Frequency

LOST AND CONFUSED!!

I have changed the sensor, i have installed a new harness for the camsensor, i have checked the ign module (component under the coils) and its good, i have checked the wiring from the ign module to the PCM and all is ok, i have removed the front engine cover and valve covers and aligned the timing chain. The vehicle starts and runs good but, the check engine light stays on. I cant clear the fault PO340. I clear it and it pops back up with=in 5 secs...

Are there any old school techs out there. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Circuit Description

The diagnostic test checks for CAM reference pulses not received when 4X reference pulses are being received. This indicates a CAM sensor circuit failure and DTC P0340 is set.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

Test Conditions

DTC P0322 not set.

4X reference pulses being received.

Engine speed 1600 RPM or less.

Failure Condition

A CAM reference pulse was not received for 5.3 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The PCM will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.

The PCM will record operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. This information will be stored in the Freeze Frame and Failure Records.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The PCM will turn the MIL OFF after three consecutive drive trips that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

A Last Test Failed (current) DTC will clear when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

A History DTC will clear after forty consecutive warm-up cycles with no failures of any emission related diagnostic test.

Use a scan tool to clear DTCs.

Interrupting PCM battery voltage may or may not clear DTCs. This practice is not recommended. Refer to Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM Description and Operation.

Test Description

Number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the Diagnostic Table.

Check to see if DTC P1376 is set because a REF LO problem can cause other ignition problems.

Checking the resistance of the camshaft position sensor. The resistance should be 800 to 2100 ohms. If the resistance is greater, check for an open or if it is less, check for a short to ground or each other.

To ensure acuurate voltage readings, connect the DMM J 39200 to the sensor before recording the Peak Min Max voltage. If the sensor is able to produce a voltage greater than 0.2 volt the sensor is OK. A typical cam sensor should produce an average of 1 volt. Duplicate this test on a known good vehicle to get a comparison voltage if a marginal cam sensor is suspected.

Please fix the airbags. There is a way to trick the module. But its not the correct way to fix it.

Logan

www.airbagcrash.com

www.logandiagnostic.com

Archived