CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

tire observations

JIMDTS

Tire observations

Well I tried 3 different tires on my car so far this year Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus, Michelin pilot MXM4 & Cooper Touring SLE All in the original size of P235/55R17 I was amazed that the Cooper tire was the best handling tire of the bunch The Pilot MXM4 were close to the Coopers but I would give the edge to the Cooper tire.

The best riding and the tire I'm sticking with is the Michelin Energy MXM4's The Cooper's rode better than the pilot's and gripped the road better in hard cornering I miss the Cooper's already Not much price difference between the tire sets maybe $15 to twenty bucks per set wholesale. For me the Michelin Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus is the tire I will stay with the car likes these tires but with some handling loss but the ride is impressive for a larger tire.. Hey it's a luxury car so the hard riding tires are no in my game plan for a Deville. Back with the tire I started with.. Just my observations ..of the tire set's I have had in the past year.

Cheers

Jim

Glad to hear you say that about the Coopers. I have the H rated SLE tires on the STS and have been very pleased. However since I dont change tires untill they are needed I have wondered if any new tire is going to "feel" better than the old ones.

However since I dont change tires untill they are needed I have wondered if any new tire is going to "feel" better than the old ones.

Even when you stay with the same model and brand, new tires always feel so good! I'm looking forward to my third set of Pilot XGT H4 tires, probably next spring or summer. With an average life of around 40,000 miles from them, I find they're a good tradeoff between ride, performance, and wear. They're very grippy, even on this ol' SLS. No howl in hard turns, just quiet, trouble-free driving. I guess, afterall, that's what a luxury performance tire SHOULD give you... :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The best riding and the tire I'm sticking with is the Michelin Energy MXM4's The Cooper's rode better than the pilot's and gripped the road better in hard cornering

This line has me confused, did you mean to say the Coopers HANDLED better?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Hi JohnnyG

Yes the Coopers handled better in fact Much better than the Michelin pilot MXM4

Michelin makes other agressive pilot series than the MXM4 but I have not tried them on the Deville(YET) The Coopers had a better ride than the Michelin pilot

MXM4 and sure performed better in hard cornering,stopping and even in wet rainy weather I could really take off quick in wet weather with the Coopers and the traction control sys. would hardly kick in. The car would just keep on pulling as if almost on dry pavement The best riding tire for comfort smooth on bumps are the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus They are not a agressive tire but they sure change the way the car handles it makes the DTS almost ride like a regular deville comfort wise All in al I will stay with the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus on this DTS for the ride comfort you can't beat the tire Go figure I'm sure it all depends on the car DTS,STS,ELDO,etc. but I would have never thought the Coopers would out perform the Pilot MXM4 but it did all the way around.. I purchased the Coopers based on what the tire shop recommended The owner of the tire shop I deal with is always trying many brands of tires on his cars so it's a good way to actually find out what tire works well but as with anything else it's what you like that counts..I,m running the Michelins now at 28 psi cold which really rides well but next time I buy gas I will kick up the tire pressure to 30 psi cold and give that a try..to I figure out the tire pressure for these tires.The othe Michelins I had on the Deville were the Michelin Energy MXV4 Not the plus which makes the car ride real nice..I imagine the plus series is improved over the older Energy MXV4

Just did a little research on tires, not 'real life' mind you, but interestingly enough, noticed a set of cooper tires on a, don't laugh, a grand marquis (de sade ??? :lol: ), ok they looked beefy and the wheels were not stock (dont think it was a marauder- heard they can't out accelerate an accord anyway :D) and so I did a little on line research about tires in general for my 95 etc. Read a review on the coopers that said they looked good but, did not handle so well. Went to tirerack.com and it looked like the winner would be the Bridgestone Turansa LS.

However, these are rating of yahoo's like us, who are not really testing scientifically, seat of the pants ratings. You just don't know what the other guys objectivity really is.

Hi rmac-etc

I hear ya about tires It's pretty much what your objective is good ride or good handling It seams that you can't really have both sometimes you just get close.Usually if the tire is a agressive tire and handles well you lose the ride and when you go for a nice riding tire you lose some of the handling qualities. It alomst depends on the car I have taken very good riding cars and put a larger size tires and a more agressive tire (high performance) and the ride was bad but it handled great. Some tire brands seam to pick op every nail or stone in the road I had a corvette with a big set of goodyear eagles and I was always picking up nails and stuff like that in those tires When i asked about thia at the tire shop i deal with they told me yep we fix that tire all the time But it sure was a good handling tire if you could overlook them picking up stuff and getting flats a couple times per year.It makes it nice if you can find someone with the same car as you have and with a tire that you like so you can actually drive it for a bit.The tire shop I deal with will if you buy a new set of tires and don't like them you can return them for another set for no charge other than the price diff. but you have to come back in 350 miles or less. So at least you get to drive them awhile.I took the shop up on this deal a few times in the past.I was back in a couple days getting another set of tires.I can usually tell within the first 50 to 100 miles if i like the tire to give them a fair chance

Good Luck on finding the rite tire for your car..

Archived