CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 STS Transmission Fluid Capacity

alno1995

B) Looking for an expert's knowledge as I am wanting to change the fluid in my 99 sts. I plan on dropping the pan and draining it that way. Is there a plug once I remove the pan and filter screen that will also need to be drained. Of course I am not changing the torque converter fluid so how many quarts will I need? Any advice appreciated. Experienced techs advice particularly. Thanks in advance for your answer

8 quarts is an approximate capacity for a drain and refill. Seems like it takes about 6 quarts but it is better to have too much on hand vs. too little. I always measure the amount drained and then fill back with the same amount and then warm it up and check the level.

Once the pan is off, there is a plug to drain the fluid from the side cover. Use a new GM pan gasket - none of the aftermarket ones are the same construction and lack the steel spacers. Make sure the pan, pan mating surface, bolts and bolt holes are clean and dry prior to reassembly. The torque spec is as follows: Initial 27 in-lbs, Intermediate 53 in-lbs. and final 106 in-lbs. It is helpful to number the bolt holes on the pan with the torque sequence. That way, you won't miss any bolts when you're on a creeper lying on your back.

GM sells a kit that has the pan gasket, screens, and o-rings for less money than just the pan gasket alone.

Once you're done, don't forget to reset the trans fluid life indicator.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I don't qualify under your "expert" clause, but here's my long-term Cadillac experience re: tramsmission fluid.

Long-term = twelve years and 188,xxx miles in a 1998 Seville.

1). You can place your faith in the "XXX% TRANS FLUID LIFE" message on the Driver Information Center (DIC). This is a "life remaining" counter and is trustworthy.

2). If you just want to replace all the fluid for your personal reasons (or to switch to DEXRON VI synthetic fluid) there is an easier/cleaner method than dropping the pan and removing a drain plug.

Simply fabricate a fitting to plumb into the upper LH cooler connection on your radiator and allow the transmission to pump the (old) fluid out to a several-gallon bucket with the engine at idle in PARK. Kill the engine as soon as the fluid stops flowing.

Then refill the transmission with eleven quarts of your fluid of choice, bring the engine (and transmission fluid) up to normal operating temperature and adjust the transmission fluid level as needed.

No fluid mess on the floor, no fluid dripping off your elbows, no jacks, no new gaskets.

3). Whichever method you choose, don't forget to reset the DIC TRANS FLUID LIFE message to 100%.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

My shop manual states "Bottom pan gasket is NOT reusable. Replace with new part after removing bottom pan for any service."

The gasket is made of a material that swells in the presence of transmission oil to assure a leak free seal. Personally, I wouldn't risk having to do the job again if it leaked.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

They must have changed then over the years Kev. My '97 was reusable.

That's possible - does your manual say it is reusable? It is certainly possible the criteria has been changed over the years. I know some have reused the gasket but I'd rather not risk a leak.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived