CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1994 SLS transmissions troubles

navion

My wife was driving home from work when the engine service soon light came on and the RPM went to 4000. I had her pull off the road and I ccame and checked the car over. There was no evidence of leaks or overheating, trans fluid was OK. I checked the PCM codes and there was no code set, but code P049 history. I elected to drive it on home. It acelerated fine, but when it should have shifted into 3rd, the engine service soon light came on & it went into second gear. At a stop sign I noticed that it also took off from 2nd gear. Once at home, I gave everything a visual inspection and could find nothing obvious, like a loose plug in the harness. After it cooled down I started it and the ESS light was out. I took it on a short drive and it did just fine. I checked and there were no PCM codes. Then the next day we drove it again and in about five miles the ESS light came on and it went back into 2nd gear. This time code PO29 (transaxle shift B solenoid problem) and P094 (transaxle shift A solenoid problem) were both set.

According to my manual, both of these codes will result in 2nd gear bieng commanded.

My question is what is the most common cause of these two problems? I would think that it would be in a plug or wiring harness. I will follow the trouble tree, but if there is a know common failure point for these two codes, then I could possibly save some time.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

The car has 160000 miles on it.

Britt

The default action when solenoids fail is to stick in 2nd gear. Heck that's the default action for a LOT of transmission errors. This is basically a failsafe so you can get home. I would check the fluid, check wires going to the tranny etc. The last thing u want to do is have to tear apart the transmission just because a solenoid went bad :/ If the fluid is real bad, or low, it's possible to fix it by draining and reflling and possibly using something that 'cleans out' the transmission. It's a long shot but if it works it's easier than taking it apart.

Hopefully it's just a worn or pinched or corroded wire and you can easily replace it.. A 'scan tool' would give much more info about the transmission but unfortunately they aren't cheap yet

The transmission torque convertor, fluid and filter have less than 5000 miles on them. I changed the engine last year (from the top) and while it was out I replaced the torque & front transmission seal. The fluid looks good and clean, no burnt smell. I will probably drop the pan and change the filter just to see if there is any thing to be seen from the bottom. If I can check the "A" and "B" solenoid from there I will. My thought is the wiring harness, but that is going to be a pain to check.

Thanks,

Britt

Britt

Archived