CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blog Post: Cadillac: The Penalty Of Leadership

Cadillac was in trouble.  The year was 1915.  Cadillac had introduced a new V8 model and leapfrogged the competition, Packard among them.  However, Packard and others encouraged rumors -- not without some cause -- that Cadillac had brought the V8s to market too early, and that there were or would ...

View the full article

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

That ad is reproduced in my 1997 Eldorado Owners' Manual. I have a text copy somewhere that I copied from an old Xerox that I read for inspiration occasionally when I was younger.

I have a simpler way of saying this in polite company: "The Chinese have a saying, 'The high nail gets the hammer.' This kind of thinking kept them in the Bronze Age for 8,000 years."

Not to pick on the Chinese and their magnificent cultural heritage, and their technological, mathematical, and cultural achievements that include the prime factor algorithm (that underlies the abacus), silk, gunpowder, and rockets. We didn't emerge into the Iron Age until about 3,000 years ago and we have had our share of Dark Ages in the West.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I loved re-reading the story behind the Saturday Evening post article. The engineers at Cadillac bringing a radical engine to market - the V8.

View the full article

Packard before the war, and Imperial after the war -- I think there is a great article (yet to be written) in there about how competition drove Cadillac to greatness.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived