CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bearings replacement question

bchristo

I have a 2001 DTS that when I took into shop for brake light fix, they said the front two wheels need new bearings to the tune of 1200.00 - OUCH I called a local shop I have had do work and they quoted me 737.oo if has "steel clip" instead of plastic clip for the BLUE line and 485.oo for steel clip and RED line. (If can use the plastic clip would be 55.00 off per wheel) Any help appreciated. I assume I need to use whatever "clip" is already there, But does anyone know the diff between Blue (I assume premium) or Red bearings. Thanks

How many miles on this car?

Are you hearing a 'roar' at highway speeds?

I just checked your hub bearing prices, at Rockauto.com, the first design is $225, the second is $197

So parts are about $400 to $450, the question is, do you need to do it. Why are they saying you are need to do this? Who is the mechanic?, what do you mean brake light fix?, you got a service brake message?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I took the car in cause I could not find through the wiring (I am not an electrician) a prob with the brake light. The brake light would not come on sometimes and I would get a PCM1574 and a "service electrical" pop up. They fixed that by replacing some switch 120.00. But while going through their 21 point check they said the bearings needed replaced. ?? I do not get a roar that i notice going down the road - I do get a clunking noise and feel to the wheel while moving slow and turning. Sometimes the traction control light will also come on until I restart. Is there a good way of assuring the the bearings are bad... Maybe just take to someone else? Thanks

I took the car in cause I could not find through the wiring (I am not an electrician) a prob with the brake light. The brake light would not come on sometimes and I would get a PCM1574 and a "service electrical" pop up. They fixed that by replacing some switch 120.00. But while going through their 21 point check they said the bearings needed replaced. ?? I do not get a roar that i notice going down the road - I do get a clunking noise and feel to the wheel while moving slow and turning. Sometimes the traction control light will also come on until I restart. Is there a good way of assuring the the bearings are bad... Maybe just take to someone else? Thanks

forgot- has 75000 miles

The traction control message could be a problem with the hub bearing but it might be an electrical connection problem only.

Find a clear two lane highway were you can do 50 mph, do a series of S turns and listen for a moan or roar as you vary the steering back and forth, if you have bad bearings you will hear noise as you go back and forth

I am not sure what is causing your slow speed clunking noise when turning but typically that is a bad drive axle.

Let us know what you find

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You can also jack the car up and grab the tire at 3:00 and 9:00. If there is any play, the bearings are bad. If not, ignore it. They'll let you know when it is time to replace them as BBF said.

I have a 2001 DTS that when I took into shop for brake light fix, they said the front two wheels need new bearings to the tune of 1200.00 - OUCH I called a local shop I have had do work and they quoted me 737.oo if has "steel clip" instead of plastic clip for the BLUE line and 485.oo for steel clip and RED line. (If can use the plastic clip would be 55.00 off per wheel) Any help appreciated. I assume I need to use whatever "clip" is already there, But does anyone know the diff between Blue (I assume premium) or Red bearings. Thanks

Sounds like they want to sell you unnecessary repairs. The hub bearings do not fail simultaneously. One of my front bearings failed at 125,000 the other at 150,000. Despite there is a common rule to replace the both when one fails, as you see in my case it took another 25,000 miles. As the others told, you will know when a bearing fails.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The low speed clunk is the intermediate steering shaft /grease issue.

There is the regular style hub and then there is the HD Limo version. They are not interchangable.

P1574 Stoplamp Switch Circuit

This is an adjustment or minor repair under the dash. These guys apparently are trying to sell you two front hubs. From GM they bearings come with the hubs, not separately. And, it's not related to anything you have mentioned here. Fix the stop light switch and forget the front wheel bearings.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.