CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

BMW 0 Series vs Buick Action Avant?

Bruce Nunnally

Latest from the mouths of the BMW rumor mill are that the German automaker is in development of a small, front-wheel drive hatchback called the 0 Series. It’s said to be slated right between the 1 series and MINI line up to fulfill the needs of customers wanting a smaller, but premium vehicle.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/11/14/0-is-the-loneliest-number/

car_photo_340852_25-655x491.jpg

Buick is considering something similar to this, on the same platform as the Chevrolet Cruze

I suppose Cadillac could make a subcompact, but it does not 'sing' out Cadillac to me -- Cadillacs should be luxury performance cars, not subcompacts. After watching the video and reading the discussion, I think they are on the right track -- it is all about understanding the premium buyer.

In this project, we studied potential markets around the world, trying to understand how luxury is changing, and the aspirations of consumers and how they use vehicles in the context of their everyday lives. What we found out is this — how people use their cars, where they drive, what they need and expect from premium products, and how these things are all changing in different parts of the world.

The world of luxury is changing. It isn’t all about bling. As luxury customers become more discerning, more conscientious, and more pressed for time, there is a way to improve their lives with a small premium car.

We worked to translate these insights into useful and desirable vehicles; concepts that are about more than just styling. Yes, aesthetics are an important; they convey the owner’s tastes and values. But we also developed a series of features that consumers would find both useful and delightful.

What is a Premium Buick experience about? Relaxation…anticipation of your needs…effortless travel.

How can this be translated in a Small vehicle that is relevant in the evolving global marketplace? Efficiency…guilt-free pleasure…aesthetic presence on a smaller scale.

Buick is an interesting brand. It has a long history and relevance in the U.S. and China. Its position in the world’s two largest automotive markets gives it a unique global presence among other premium vehicle marques. For designers around the GM world, Buick is an emotional brand. We are interested in the possibilities for Buick.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived