CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

MY Bad Experience with NorthStar Performance

TheCaddyman

I ordered my studs by paypal on 11-10-09 between 10 and 11 am. I didn't get a call or email stating they have my order and it will be shipped, so I called Northstar Performance around 2pm that day the young lady said orders are shipped around this time but they didn't have my order ready when UPS came so it wouldn't go out the next day. Ok thats fine the next day no call or email saying my order went out so I called Northstar Performance for a tracking number according to the lady she needed to find Jake becuase she doen't no how to find my tracking number, so she places me on hold and when she returns she tells me that Jakes mom said he step out so she will call him on his cell and call me back. 4o min later no return call so I call them, they have a tracking number, Ups says they have the billing info but they don't have the package. I wait until the next day and I check the number on line no update so I called UPS they say we don't have package and I should call the shipper. So I call shipper and the young lady doesnt no anything so after two calls I speak with Jake. Jake saids I sent the package out and called UPS Im not sure what happened I'll send out another one thats fine ok he suggest I pay $100 more and Ill have package next I tell him $550 is a lot to pay for some studs and I don't want to pay $100 for shipping he say well then you just have to wait. I said thats rude all I want to no is when are my studs going to ship he says Im refunding your money and hangs up the phone.

I order items all the time never have I had a person get mad because Im asking when my product will ship. I get a refund from paypal and in the notes "Note from merchant"

"Unfortunately we cannot deal with impatient people unless they upgrade to the express shipping. If you still want the stud kit than pay $649 by 11:00am this morning eastern time and you will have it tomorrow afternoon guaranteed " Normally the shipper says the product will leave my location within 24-48hr or its back logged or what ever. If I don't pay the extra $100 when do you ship it two weeks a month what? The question was when would my paid for product be shipping. If that makes me impatient.

Before I start... I want to say, I have never used Jakes product, nor have I ever met him of talked to him in any way... but I have run small businesses in the past.

In this post, your first post...you said you paid with PAYPAL about 10 or 11 am.

Then you called Jakes place at 2 pm...wanting to know if it had shipped yet.

That is only 3 hours or so...what the heck were you expecting?

Then the next day...you either call UPS or go to the UPS website, and you see that they have the billing information.

That means that Jake has already made the shipping label and is now waiting for UPS to pick up the package.

If you, as a business owner, pay extra to UPS, they come by once a day...usually in the afternoon, to see if you have a package for them to pick up.

If you "ARE NOT" paying extra to them, they only come and pick up packages when you actually CALL THEM to come get a package.

Therefore, if you paid Jake on Monday at 11 am...then Jake makes the label Tuesday, and then he calls UPS...it will probably be Wednesday afternoon when UPS has the package in their possession and can give you any info on the package.

I am sorry to say this, but personally, I feel that you are COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY UNREASONABLE about the time frame.

If I was running a small business...(and I have in the past)...you are the type customer I don't need.

If I was in Jakes position...I would be almost afraid to sell you "ANYTHING"...because there is the possibility that after you get the product...no matter how well it performs...ANYTHING ELSE THAT GOES WRONG with your car...you are going to blame "MY PRODUCT" and expect me to fix whatever "ELSE" goes wrong.

Sorry to say this, as I believe very strongly in customer service, but in this case...based on the info so far available... I have to side with Jake.

PS...One more thing...Just in case you forgot....Wednesday...11/11/09 was a Holiday.

It was Veterans Day in the US.

It was Remembrance Day in Canada.

I don't know, but, UPS may not have even been running that day...which would have thrown everything a day later.

Posted Image

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered my studs by paypal on 11-10-09 between 10 and 11 am. I didn't get a call or email stating they have my order and it will be shipped, so I called Northstar Performance around 2pm that day the young lady said orders are shipped around this time but they didn't have my order ready when UPS came so it wouldn't go out the next day. Ok thats fine the next day no call or email saying my order went out so I called Northstar Performance for a tracking number according to the lady she needed to find Jake becuase she doen't no how to find my tracking number, so she places me on hold and when she returns she tells me that Jakes mom said he step out so she will call him on his cell and call me back. 4o min later no return call so I call them, they have a tracking number, Ups says they have the billing info but they don't have the package. I wait until the next day and I check the number on line no update so I called UPS they say we don't have package and I should call the shipper. So I call shipper and the young lady doesnt no anything so after two calls I speak with Jake. Jake saids I sent the package out and called UPS Im not sure what happened I'll send out another one thats fine ok he suggest I pay $100 more and Ill have package next I tell him $550 is a lot to pay for some studs and I don't want to pay $100 for shipping he say well then you just have to wait. I said thats rude all I want to no is when are my studs going to ship he says Im refunding your money and hangs up the phone.

I order items all the time never have I had a person get mad because Im asking when my product will ship. I get a refund from paypal and in the notes "Note from merchant"

"Unfortunately we cannot deal with impatient people unless they upgrade to the express shipping. If you still want the stud kit than pay $649 by 11:00am this morning eastern time and you will have it tomorrow afternoon guaranteed " Normally the shipper says the product will leave my location within 24-48hr or its back logged or what ever. If I don't pay the extra $100 when do you ship it two weeks a month what? The question was when would my paid for product be shipping. If that makes me impatient.

Before I start... I want to say, I have never used Jakes product, nor have I ever met him of talked to him in any way... but I have run small businesses in the past.

In this post, your first post...you said you paid with PAYPAL about 10 or 11 am.

Then you called Jakes place at 2 pm...wanting to know if it had shipped yet.

That is only 3 hours or so...what the heck were you expecting?

Then the next day...you either call UPS or go to the UPS website, and you see that they have the billing information.

That means that Jake has already made the shipping label and is now waiting for UPS to pick up the package.

If you, as a business owner, pay extra to UPS, they come by once a day...usually in the afternoon, to see if you have a package for them to pick up.

If you "ARE NOT" paying extra to them, they only come and pick up packages when you actually CALL THEM to come get a package.

Therefore, if you paid Jake on Monday at 11 am...then Jake makes the label Tuesday, and then he calls UPS...it will probably be Wednesday afternoon when UPS has the package in their possession and can give you any info on the package.

I am sorry to say this, but personally, I feel that you are COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY UNREASONABLE about the time frame.

If I was running a small business...(and I have in the past)...you are the type customer I don't need.

If I was in Jakes position...I would be almost afraid to sell you "ANYTHING"...because there is the possibility that after you get the product...no matter how well it performs...ANYTHING ELSE THAT GOES WRONG with your car...you are going to blame "MY PRODUCT" and expect me to fix whatever "ELSE" goes wrong.

Sorry to say this, as I believe very strongly in customer service, but in this case...based on the info so far available... I have to side with Jake.

In my first post I stated what the young lady said that they are shipped normally at 2pm. However I called becuase I did not receive and email or a call concerning my order being placed. Now If i continue to follow upon what I was told I would expect that the next day there would be a tracking number. This can't be the fault of UP, your so right pay for a product who cares when it ships. Even items being shipped from China have a time line. Ya gota luv this.

And how do you become a vendor is it free with member ship.
Individual membership is $20/year as a Caddyinfo Supporter. This shows support for the site, but doesn't allow product advertisements except of the "hey I found this cool item for my Cadillac" type, which are always welcome.

Caddyinfo.com. Become a Supporter on the forum, access Contributor/Subscriber forums and upload 100k/photo instead of 64k/photo.

Vendor 'membership' is $300/year as a Caddyinfo Supporting Vendor:

Become a Caddyinfo Supporting Vendor: Supporting Vendors get their own Moderated forum in the Supporting Vendor section of Caddyinfo where they can post Cadillac related items or services, group buys, and respond to Cadillac customer inquiries.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I cant help but notice your continued defensive stance. You own 50 cars so you must be a man of some substance. Maybe you are used to being catered to as a result and Jake's laid back, we'll get to it attitude was too much for your 'normal' expectations.

If I were you, I would back down, call Jake and try to clear this up, explain that you are sorry for this MISUNDERSTANDING and order the studs. However don't be surprised now if JAKE refuses to sell you the studs because of what you said above, "Since I was not a irrate customer one could use your reasoning to suggest the seller didn't think their product would past the mustard" After that statement, Id be reluctant to sell you anything, the studs are a good product, and they need to pass mustard with you?

Based on your continued defensive stance, your first post here and your knee jerk reaction to "warn' us about this 'unprofessional vendor', I can see why Jake said, forget this...

You said your piece, now go take a tranquilizer, was Jake a little slow, OK, this is YOUR loss however

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Lol you have to love the dynamics, storm, and fury of a forum thread at full chat.

The controversial threads get a lot more traffic / views, so maybe we need more diverse opinions. I much prefer arguing about car stuff vs arguing about non-car stuff.

Bruce

In my first post I stated what the young lady said that they are shipped normally at 2pm. However I called becuase I did not receive and email or a call concerning my order being placed. Now If i continue to follow upon what I was told I would expect that the next day there would be a tracking number. This can't be the fault of UP, your so right pay for a product who cares when it ships. Even items being shipped from China have a time line. Ya gota luv this.

As you stated before...YOU DID HAVE A TRACKING NUMBER...but you kept calling them every little bit, wanting to know the exact minute that it would ship.

As I said before...I too would have canceled your shipment and refunded your money.

I feel sorry for you that you did not have even a tiny bit of patience to wait till the next day for it to actually ship so that you could get your car fixed.

I have read numerous accounts of people who successfully used Jakes product and are very happy with the results.

Too bad you won't be one of them.

Remember ...Wednesday...11/11/09 was a holiday in both the USA and Canada.

Posted Image

I consider anyone impatient who calls 10 minutes after placing the order to see if it's already been shipped out. It was shipped out the next day- UPS comes around once per day at approx 2:00pm. And then calls 6 times in the next two days to see where it is. I currently have one receptionist who has a lot to deal with. She provided the customer with the tracking number and I just don't understand what more we can provide.

UPS does not always keep up with their status. I check my parts orders with their online tracking and sometimes it does not update for a day or two depending on the method of shipping chosen. Fed-Ex is even worse.

My apologies to anyone whom does not understand why I cancelled the order, refunded the customers money, and replied with the message I did. He is welcome to place the order again but I don't want him calling 3 times per day asking where it is. This is why I recommended the express shipping for $100 more (to ship a kit express costs us $165 for express shipping, guaranteed next day at the customers door).

No complaint is good for business and I understand this. But unless we start our own shipping company we cannot be fully in control. As unfortunate as it is we have to wait for our parts too. We ran out of rear-main seals yesterday so a customers car had to wait. The order didn't come in on the expected date. We simply start working on another customers car in the mean time.

Charity called the customer to inform him his money was already refunded and the package delivery was reversed and he was already on the phone with PayPal- not even 20 minutes after I told him I was cancelling the order.

Simply stated, if you don't have 3-4, even 5 business days to wait sometimes for a stud kit to arrive, pay the extra money and order express. You'll have it the next day if you order by around noon. Yes it's expensive for shipping. We don't pocket that money- UPS gets it. Do a quote on UPS.com for express shipping a 15 lb. package in a 6" cube box from Langton, Ontario to anywhere in the USA. $165 is usually what the quote is. It's well worth it to wait if you have the time. If you're running a business such as the man above told me, and the business relies on that vehicle being on the road, and you're losing money because of down-time, order express.

I'm sorry to all other Caddy owners that they have to hear this- I just hope they can understand my point of view. Anytime you're dealing with the general public there's going to be 1 person in 100 who you simply can't deal with. The other 99 are why we're in business and successful and proud to be doing what we're doing.

Thank You Jake for explaining what happened from your perspective. As many of us noted, we have not changed our opinion about you or your product, Mike

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Great to hear from you. Thanks for posting, and I hope your business is going well. We need more businesses that focus on Cadillac aftermarket products and services.

It occurs to me that Howard at Direct Performance in Florida is running an ebay shipping and warehousing business, so once you get to the point where you need US shipping support an arrangement could perhaps be worked out where you ship kits in bulk to Direct then have them handle order fulfillment. Just a thought, and Howard (Cardio Doc) has been a real friend to the Cadillac community.

Bruce

I cant help but notice your continued defensive stance. You own 50 cars so you must be a man of some substance. Maybe you are used to being catered to as a result and Jake's laid back, we'll get to it attitude was too much for your 'normal' expectations.

If I were you, I would back down, call Jake and try to clear this up, explain that you are sorry for this MISUNDERSTANDING and order the studs. However don't be surprised now if JAKE refuses to sell you the studs because of what you said above, "Since I was not a irrate customer one could use your reasoning to suggest the seller didn't think their product would past the mustard" After that statement, Id be reluctant to sell you anything, the studs are a good product, and they need to pass mustard with you?

Based on your continued defensive stance, your first post here and your knee jerk reaction to "warn' us about this 'unprofessional vendor', I can see why Jake said, forget this...

You said your piece, now go take a tranquilizer, was Jake a little slow, OK, this is YOUR loss however

I like you, you make me laugh the most. Thanks :D

Glad to be of service, :lol:

Clear the decks, Jake sells a great product and your NS will be bullet proof

It was a holiday here in Canada for sure and considering we had no shipments that came in in time to schedule a UPS pickup, I don't know whether they were running or not.

The studs I sell, I designed to take care of the Northstar head bolt "pulling" problem. I want my customers to be happy. I really do. I will still sell a set of studs to "The Caddy Man" once he admits he was being a bit unreasonable with the constant phone calls and impatience. And to a person who's always right and everyone else is always wrong, that is not going to happen. Prove me wrong here Caddy Man and you may wind up with an interesting response from me.

I consider anyone impatient who calls 10 minutes after placing the order to see if it's already been shipped out. It was shipped out the next day- UPS comes around once per day at approx 2:00pm. And then calls 6 times in the next two days to see where it is. I currently have one receptionist who has a lot to deal with. She provided the customer with the tracking number and I just don't understand what more we can provide. Wow a big six. If your office has to contact you to respond to my question wounld there be 4 calls between Northstar Performance and the customer in two days not 6. And even if there were ten calls isn't that part of business.

UPS does not always keep up with their status. I check my parts orders with their online tracking and sometimes it does not update for a day or two depending on the method of shipping chosen. Fed-Ex is even worse.

My apologies to anyone whom does not understand why I cancelled the order, refunded the customers money, and replied with the message I did. He is welcome to place the order again but I don't want him calling 3 times per day asking where it is. This is why I recommended the express shipping for $100 more (to ship a kit express costs us $165 for express shipping, guaranteed next day at the customers door).

No complaint is good for business and I understand this. But unless we start our own shipping company we cannot be fully in control. As unfortunate as it is we have to wait for our parts too. We ran out of rear-main seals yesterday so a customers car had to wait. The order didn't come in on the expected date. We simply start working on another customers car in the mean time.

Charity called the customer to inform him his money was already refunded and the package delivery was reversed and he was already on the phone with PayPal- not even 20 minutes after I told him I was cancelling the order. This event came about from poor customer service.

Simply stated, if you don't have 3-4, even 5 business days to wait sometimes for a stud kit to arrive, pay the extra money and order express. You'll have it the next day if you order by around noon. Yes it's expensive for shipping. We don't pocket that money- UPS gets it. Do a quote on UPS.com for express shipping a 15 lb. package in a 6" cube box from Langton, Ontario to anywhere in the USA. $165 is usually what the quote is. It's well worth it to wait if you have the time. If you're running a business such as the man above told me, and the business relies on that vehicle being on the road, and you're losing money because of down-time, order express. The kit would not arrive in three to four days if the kit never leaves Northstar Performance for three days. So I'm right in asking when will my item ship so I will no when it will be delivered by UPS so it take UPS 3 days to delivery from the time they have the item so Northstar Performance is the only one that can answer when they will provide the product to UPS for delivery. And you got mad because i asked when you will ship the item. Thats FUNNY.

I'm sorry to all other Caddy owners that they have to hear this- I just hope they can understand my point of view. Anytime you're dealing with the general public there's going to be 1 person in 100 who you simply can't deal with. The other 99 are why we're in business and successful and proud to be doing what we're doing.

I'm glad you spoke up. I disagree with your point of view, but at least you addressed the matter. You did call to inform me that your company refunded the money. We never had a conversation about my business. My exact words and yours are in my first post. Im very accurate its a habit.

OK. I've heard a lot about the high cost of the studs.

Let me see. Custom CNC machining of a dual diameter stud and also threading, two different threads. and batch heat treating to a certain rockwell hardness. EXPENSIVE. I repeat. EXPENSIVE.

Add a drill bit that you won't find in most hardware stores.

Add a tap for rethreading the block.

Add more custom CNC machineded M11x1.5 bolts that have to have a certain size head, used to hold the fixture plate down.

Add threadlocker

Add 20 grade 8 taller-than-average hardened nuts.

Add 20 hardened washers

Add 4 custom machined bushings precision welded in a jig to a CNC plasma cut .375" plate.

Add shipping and packaging costs.

Add my shop overhead.

Does everyone think I'm getting rich? I'm making decent money. I'll admit that. My help is getting paid a reasonable salary so they can live decently. My bills, heat and electric bills are paid. I have money left over to put toward future developments that will hopefully benefit Northstar owners.

Yes inserts are cheaper. No longer will you need head bolts, so you can save on not buying them. You won't have to do the HG job twice, and the repairs will last. I back customers cars with a 5 year warranty against HG/bolt failure. How much is it worth to someone to have the car fixed with a bulletproof repair? We have 5 Caddy dealers who continue to use the studs and numerous repair shops throughout the USA and Canada. For a reason. It works. The price is what it is, I would bring it lower if I could do so while still staying in business. with the CDN $ being up to almost par with the USA, Our profits have gone down. We did not raise the price and we will not.

We just experimented with a tap worth about $100. We can tap each hole in one pass now. These will be available at extra cost. More money, but it saves time. It'll be worth it to people who do a lot of Northstars.

Let me see. Custom CNC machining of a dual diameter stud and also threading, two different threads. and batch heat treating to a certain rockwell hardness. EXPENSIVE. I repeat. EXPENSIVE.

Add more custom CNC machineded M11x1.5 bolts that have to have a certain size head, used to hold the fixture plate down.

Add threadlocker

Add 20 hardened washers

Add 4 custom machined bushings precision welded in a jig to a CNC plasma cut .375" plate.

Add my shop overhead.

Does everyone think I'm getting rich? I'm making decent money. I'll admit that. My help is getting paid a reasonable salary so they can live decently. My bills, heat and electric bills are paid. I have money left over to put toward future developments that will hopefully benefit Northstar owners.

Yes inserts are cheaper. No longer will you need head bolts, so you can save on not buying them. You won't have to do the HG job twice, and the repairs will last. I back customers cars with a 5 year warranty against HG/bolt failure. How much is it worth to someone to have the car fixed with a bulletproof repair? We have 5 Caddy dealers who continue to use the studs and numerous repair shops throughout the USA and Canada. For a reason. It works. The price is what it is, I would bring it lower if I could do so while still staying in business. with the CDN $ being up to almost par with the USA, Our profits have gone down. We did not raise the price and we will not.

We just experimented with a tap worth about $100. We can tap each hole in one pass now. These will be available at extra cost. More money, but it saves time. It'll be worth it to people who do a lot of Northstars.

http://customer-relations.suite101.com/art...omer_complaints

Add threadlocker

Add 20 hardened washers

Add my shop overhead.

Good information.

Compared to a new engine, it doesn't seem like a very high cost at all for the end user to fix an engine "RIGHT"

Good to hear from you.

:D

Posted Image

Good information.

Compared to a new engine, it doesn't seem like a very high cost at all for the end user to fix an engine "RIGHT"

Good to hear from you.

Agree. I love technical details on stuff like this.

I was intrigued to hear what the NSP response was going to be to an apology, but I guess we're not going to hear it. I thought this was going to wrap up with "okay, maybe I was impatient, and I apologize if I seemed impatient, but I'm glad I got my side of the issue out"; then we could hear the interesting response:

Prove me wrong here Caddy Man and you may wind up with an interesting response from me

UPDATE: Blog post on about Northstar Performance

Bruce

Add threadlocker

Add 20 hardened washers

Add my shop overhead.

Hmm.. A crash course on how to deal with people like you.... very informative.

We are all equal "The Caddy Man". Remember this when it comes to dealing with businesses, customers, and people in general. Nobody is above or below you. Even if you are a customer of theirs. I am sorry we couldn't do business.

Oh, and remember, you don't have to buy anything if the price is too high. Norm's inserts are considerably cheaper, and you are one customer who I won't mind referring to a competitor. Scratch that-Norm doesn't deserve to deal with this B.S. either. Go with Time-Serts! :D

-Jake

Good information.

Good to hear from you.

I was intrigued to hear what the NSP response was going to be to an apology, but I guess we're not going to hear it. I thought this was going to wrap up with "okay, maybe I was impatient, and I apologize if I seemed impatient, but I'm glad I got my side of the issue out"; then we could hear the interesting response:

Prove me wrong here Caddy Man and you may wind up with an interesting response from me

Thats "THE CADDY MAN" i don't want the wrong person taking up my slack.

Add threadlocker

Add 20 hardened washers

Add my shop overhead.

We are all equal "The Caddy Man". Remember this when it comes to dealing with businesses, customers, and people in general. Nobody is above or below you. Even if you are a customer of theirs. I am sorry we couldn't do business.

Oh, and remember, you don't have to buy anything if the price is too high. Norm's inserts are considerably cheaper, and you are one customer who I won't mind referring to a competitor. Scratch that-Norm doesn't deserve to deal with this B.S. either. Go with Time-Serts! :D

-Jake

What BS my friend? http://kennethdreyer.com/just-admit-your-mistakes/

Add threadlocker

Add 20 hardened washers

Add my shop overhead.

We are all equal "The Caddy Man". Remember this when it comes to dealing with businesses, customers, and people in general. Nobody is above or below you. Even if you are a customer of theirs. I am sorry we couldn't do business. Thanks

-Jake

Good information.

Good to hear from you.

Thats "THE CADDY MAN" i don't want the wrong person taking up my slack.

My reponse was going to be "I will eat the cost of the $165 for express shipping and you'd have the kit Monday morning so you'll have the studs ASAP at the $549 price." UPS is coming in about an hour, we have a couple orders going out anyways. If you would have proved me wrong (and I knew I was right this time) I would have done this.

No, I don't think I'll do that now.

"The Caddy Man"- courtesy can get you a long ways.