CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The esthetics of Wind Farms

http://www.globalwarmingisreal.com/blog/20...s-of-windfarms/

Dear EarthTalk: I don’t understand why many people oppose wind power just because they have to look at the turbines. If you ask me, wind turbines are much nicer-looking than coal-fired, waste-to-energy or nuclear power plants. — Michael Hart, via e-mail

Whether it’s a wind farm, a coal-fired power plant, a nuclear reactor or even just a big box store, there are always going to be locals opposed to it, declaring “not in my back yard!” (NIMBY).

As to the attractiveness of wind farms, people do seem to come down on one side or the other rather vehemently. Those in favor of wind development have been known to extol the visual virtues of a horizon full of windmills not only for the turbines’ graceful sculptural lines but also for the fact that their very presence advertises the coming of a modern, almost futuristic age of clean, renewable energy.

http://www.globalwarmingisreal.com/blog/20...s-of-windfarms/

EarthTalkWindPowerNIMBY.jpg

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I have traveled a good bit, and have seen numerous wind farms.

"MOST" of them detract from the view/scenery..in my humble opinion.

I do understand the reason and necessity for them...and will tolerate them, but that doesn't mean I still don't like the way they look...on the crest of a mountain ridge.

They are not as bad, aesthetically, when on a flat plain...like just to the west of Amarillo.

Posted Image

I guess it depends on what you compare it to. As compared to an oil well, wind turbines look fine to me. I like mechanical things though just for the gadgetry of it. Wind turbines strike me as something for nothing, in that you get renewable power out of the wind that otherwise would have just blown by.

Now that all said, I think the turbine is likely not the best way to capture this energy. I suppose something like an ionic tube that makes energy from the wind passing through it -- or any 'next gen' concept -- might be more visually pleasing AND end up being more efficient than

wind-> kinetic energy -> generator -> electric grid

Bruce

We drive a lot in the west...from here to California.

It is kind of a jarring, unexpected sight, when you round a curve in the highway and see a hundred or so turbines lined up across the skyline, when you were expecting to see just the mountain ridges, highlighted against the sky.

I have gradually got used to seeing them and it doesn't really bother me much anymore. :D:D

I agree that there "HAS" to be better, more efficient ways to get the wind energy.

I also agree that we REALLY NEED the wind energy.

Posted Image

Knowing the way you drive, you probably helped the wind farm production by passing through. :lol:

Just got back from a few days out in New Mexico.

Got excellent fuel mileage ... considering the way I drive.

There was some really beautiful country out there.

One place we drove thru...for about 50 miles...we were kinda on the rim of a valley...looking down in the valley.

The trees were turning color.

Some of the prettiest yellow and gold colors you ever seen...mixed in with a little green.

Not the different shades of brown you see around here... but REAL YELLOW and GOLD colors.

It was nice.

Posted Image

I have heard that some people have cameras or camera phones and post photo diaries as they drive along to websites like Caddyinfo that would be interested in trip reports. Just sayin. :rolleyes:

Glad you had another good trip.

Bruce

How about a flip video cam and you can have your DW shoot you in front of stuff or video you as you drive along and give a running commentary?

I'm sure she has offered to shoot you before now lol.

They are super super easy to use, and have a built-in usb port for computer interface. Just pop the video out to vimeo or youtube or google and link it here.

Bruce

How about a flip video cam and you can have your DW shoot you in front of stuff or video you as you drive along and give a running commentary?

I'm sure she has offered to shoot you before now lol.

They are super super easy to use, and have a built-in usb port for computer interface. Just pop the video out to vimeo or youtube or google and link it here.

I am sure she has at least CONSIDERED shooting me...probably more times than I want to know about. :lol:

I have really been thinking about a RELATIVELY GOOD DSLR or a RELATIVELY GOOD video camera.

I have an older Olympus C720 Ultra Zoom digital camera.

It actually does take pretty good pictures, but is only 3 megapixels.

We do so much driving and traveling and looking at "STUFF"...and we are so used to it...I forget that other people might like to see pictures of where I have been.

But, I, for sure, don't want to come across as egotistical and be one of those ...

"Hey, Look where I went and what I did" types.

Thats just not "ME"

Posted Image

Archived