CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM releases sponsorships for dropped brands

Bruce Nunnally

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090714/AU.../907140361/1148

For General Motors, it's lights out in the Big Apple and game over in Lansing.

A federal judge Monday let General Motors Co. shed dozens of sponsorship deals and pricey perks that included VIP suites at international speedways, naming rights for a Lansing baseball stadium and Times Square billboards.

The marketing department is now headed by Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, who will be responsible for all creative elements of products and customer relationships.

"My top priority now is to enhance the ability of GM to let the public know about what great cars and trucks we build," Lutz wrote in a live Web chat Monday. "For all the money spent in the past, this seemingly simple task has eluded us."

Lutz signaled a pending change in GM's advertising message now that the new GM has emerged from bankruptcy.

"You will very quickly see a drastic change in the tone and content of our advertising," he said.

"And if you don't, it will mean that I have failed. Our current product lineup is arguably the best of any mass producer in the world, and our task is to use enhanced advertising and communications methods to convince more Americans to give us a try again."

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived