CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replace blower motor

MIke D

So my 93 STS is on its way to the shop soon. First my A/C compressor is leaking. Got a new one from Delco with a 1 year warranty. Then a couple of days later got the drier. I am going to get it fixed this week but now a new problem has started.

I go to pick my friend from the Orlando airport and the blower motor starts cutting in and out. After driving 100 miles with no A/C and windows up cause of thunderstorms... I said enough was enough. I found an overpass and started snooping. I found that the plug that goes into the blower motor has clean contacts, power is going to the plug, but if I wiggle the plastic housing (plug receptacle) on the blower motor it will turn on and off. Not wiggle the plug but the part it plugs into…

Most places have the motor for $50 but when I look to see what needs to be removed to fix it... it says "cut here to remove blower".... WHAT? I have to cut the case to fix it? How? If I do cut it how do I seal it back up? Is this hard to do? I know the control module is not part of the motor in the 93.. would this make it easier to do? I already have to spend $300 to get the other things done... I cant really afford more labor costs... Please... any help would be great... Thanks MD

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Usually the hvac motor completly dies, and is blamed on proximity to the spark plug wires. Whatever that does to the motor I think has been corrected. Haven't heard anyone describe an intermittent contact issue as you have described.

Nonetheless, I have read of 3 approaches to its replacement:

1 - you can search the old board and get this procedure. Apparently its not too difficult to drop the engine forward a few inches to allow access to the blower and replace it.

2 - you can cut the blower housing. I did this and sealed it back up with aluminum tape (a hw store item, just like duct tape, but Aluminum (aluminium to you brits :D )). Used a hack saw blade with a handle on the end, didn't get the lines just right, but it worked with little effort.

3 - I have read at least 1 post, who said that he was able to remove and replace the fan without dropping the engine or cutting the housing. Don't know what particular year/model he did it on, but I could not have put the new one in without breaking it. The old one came out with no cutting, but the fan broke in the process.

Also, the replacement fan normally costs close to $300, gmpartsdirect.com is a good source. I think you mentioned $50?? Sure its the right fan. There is one in the back of the console for rear seat passengers, make sure that you aren't looking at the wrong blower.

Thanks for the info... I did call 6 different places and they all said the same prices.. One even asked front or rear motor... I think the $300 is for the temp control module built into the fan. Mine is a different piece all together. (I think they changed in 94...)

I tried searching the old board. A few people talked about having the problem but I did not get far enough into the threads to see someone talking about the whole procedure. I checked a chiltons (yuck) for the basic procedure... didn't look too tough.. It said cut and then seperate the motor from the fan and take out as two seperate pieces... My dad is going to send down the procedure from the factory manual (hayes or hanes???) and I will see what I can do..

I do thank you for your info... I'll be sure to post "how to" when I get to doing it. As for now I am going to be off to Boston and I will fix it when I get back to Florida.. If anyone else has any info PLEASE chime in...

Again thanks... Mike D

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

I feel your pain. I had the blower replaced under extened warranty and never really gave it much thought untill a few month after they did it i looked under the hood while it was running and there was a hole in the houseing. So i go up to dealership and they told me they didnt cut it, well needless to say i tired to ask to seee another yearmodle of that car to show the "cut here" deal and thats when they started gettting pissy with me and eventualy told me to leave the parking lot. search the board, some one even posted a drawing of the housing and the assy.

I recently replaced the blower on my 91 Touring, it has the 4.9 engine. I had to remove the stabilizer bar and the air filter assembly, both simple tasks. It is hard reaching for the screws on the blower, and their positions do not coincide with what the service manual says (this is the second inconsistency I've found on the manual). But still they are not a showstopper. You have to disconnect the blower, the cut the rubber housing with a blade and pull and twist until you get it out. I remember fighting it for a little while, but it is not extremely difficult. I had gone to the junk yard where I took out a blower from a 90 Deville which is exactly the same as my original. While in there I saw that many GMs have the same blower (sizewise) except for the plugs and should work with no problem (though I did not try any of them). I paid $14.91 tax and replacement warranty included! I tested it at different current levels (using the fan speed controls on the dash) and it worked fine, so I installed it right away. Installation was similar, a little squeezing and figuring out the best position to put it in. The rubber remains cut on the two lines where it says Cut Here. I have also seen those fan blowers on ebay cheap. Good luck.

Archived