CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No more Havoline/Texaco DEXCOOL???

wake

Let me also add that it's never my intention to create enemies, and I'm afraid that's what I've done here, so maybe I should just quit on this subject. :) I'm stubborn like that.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

advance auto parts says there new antifreexe is compatable with all other antifreeze including dexcool its a 5 yr and costs 7.98 a gallon

If the Olds diesel failures in the field were to be correctly analysed it is actually a fact that most of them were the result of improper and poor maintenance by the owners.

You know what, Bill? I have a great deal of respect for you and your knowledge, but you must be joking when you say all these things about the Olds diesel and point the finger at the customer not understanding the engine and it's maintenance. This may have been true in a small percentage of the cases, but overall, the engine was "not" a robust design, and many of it's failures occured because it really couldn't cut the role that it was designed for.

I'm going to have to assume that you are just so biased towards GM products that you really can't admit when a design goes wrong. In every post that I've ever read you writing, it's always "someone else's" fault. That may work here in the rarified air of this Cadillac forum....but it doesn't work in the shop where we work on these "designs", nor does it resonate with the consumer.

I worked on many Olds diesels that had been babied by the customer and still

had massive failures.....cylinder walls worn prematurely, rocker arms worn out,

(this was incredibly common), glow plug failures that were "not" due to someone jumping the harnesses, broken cranks that were "not" due to someone spraying starter fluid into the engines. These engines were maintained at the dealership level, with correct engine oil, and correct oil change intervals. Theses engines were nothing more then a stop-gap attempt by GM to provide the diesel engines to the customers. It failed miserably, and they stopped production. Probably was costing them too much in warranty costs and poor customer satisfaction scores.

Ian

My father-in-law has an olds diesel. The biggest problem with it was the torque converter kept failing especially on long trips. Gas mileage was fantastic, 32 mpg, but it was not reliable. If I remember a story I saw that GM actually did admit that the cylinder walls were too thin among other things. He ended up buying a 6.2 diesel to put into it, I think, but it never got put in the car and now it is a big yard ornament.

OK....ENOUGH>>>>Back to the original topic....I've tried every auto parts store, (Pep Boys, Autozone, Advance Auto, etc), every convenience store (the Texaco convienience store sells Shell products..lol) and every supermarket and every discount store including Wal-Mart, K-Mart and Target in the area and no one sells Havoline/Texaco DEXCOOL. The Texaco website is worthless. Has anyone found a place that sells this stuff?

Although I got rid of the STS a few weeks ago, I need to do the coolant change in the 2000 SS (built in late 1999) and need to get ahold of some of this stuff.

Any tips on who sells this would be greatly appreciated.

If you can't buy the Havoline brand, Prestone also sells it, and I know everyone carries that because I've bought it before. If you can't get the 100% solution, the 95% solution is readily available.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I can't believe this string is still going. Especially since a drain and fill or even a flush and fill is so inexpensive relatively speaking. I do mine every 2-3 years whether it needs it or not. It's just good preventative maintenance. As far as the DexCool....I saw some at K-Mart this past week. Even some that said GM approved or was it GM certified? Anyways K-Mart at least has it. This string should die..... it's getting as bad as the oil discussions. :blink:

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived