CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Smoke coming out exhaust

bigfoo

When I rev the engine in park. (mashing the pedal for 3/4th of a second or so, which brings up rpms to about 4000 or so) it puts out a rather large cloud of blueish greyish kinda smoke and it doesn't smell good.. I can't quite figure out the smell.. It's the type of smell I'm used to smelling because I used to work on a lot of older cars.... I just don't think this type of smell should be coming from THIS car :> I'm just curious.. it doesn't bother me mainly because I'm used to it from the old cars, but i thought all this computerized jargon in this car it shouldn't smoke at all :> And no I doubt it's carbon because I drive it like it's a muscle car especially when the kids aren't in it :)

If it's blowing blue...my experience has been that it is bruning oil and would need a ring job. The oil rings on the pistons are worn out and are letting oil into the combustion chamber thus burning oil. Either do a compression test or have one done for you. The PSI should be the same or very like within 5 PSI.

Another thing that it could be is a worn out valve and is letting oil through that way.

Hope this helps :)

Spence

Do you use the freeway as a chance to do some WOT's to keep the carbon from building up, and the rings working free?

If not, find a place where you can let'er rip up to about 80 MPH. I would keep it in 3rd gear so it can't get into 4th or overdrive. Then let the car slow down by engine braking. After a few times any carbon should be blown out.

Another way to get high speed engine cleanup is to keep the car in 3rd gear and drive at 65-75 for 15 to 20 minutes. Your RPM will run about 3000+, giving the catalytic converter a cleaning and the engine a higher RPM workout, won't hurt either a bit.

For normal driving use the on-ramps to use full throttle to get up to speed as a routine. Use your transmission to slow you down when exiting the freeway or coasting down long hills. The carbon will not build up and the rings will stay free to control the oil.

You don't need to beat the car up but it does need to be "exercised" regularly.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Oh i excercize all the time :) Sometimes i drive around in 2nd gear at 4500 rpm for the hell of it. It burns about a quart every 1000 miles with my driving style

Any chance you are maybe keeping the oil level to high and the PCV valve is sucking it up?

The PCV valve return spring may be weak and allowing to much vacuum, pulling excess oil along with the oil vapor. If you haven't ever replaced it, might be something to try.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

The oil was low.. I just had to put in a quart.. I also get a ticking noise when i first start it up but it goes away 10 seconds or so.. I attribute it to parking the car on a rather steep incline all night and then startup in morning i get ticking .. it's loud but not super loud.. does it on full oil level too. anyway, i put in a new pcv recently so i doubt that's it.. I guess i'm wondering if it's supposed to do that or not.. Maybe it's a leaking injector or what I don't know or maybe it's just burning oil.. it doesn't smoke much at WOT on highway, or at least that i can see in the mirrors.. i'd have to have someone drive behind me and look..

IT does have a high flow CAT and CORSA exhaust on it which right away gave me more smoke probably because of the CAT not eating as much as the regular one :)

Most of the cars i built up had no cats so they always had smoke heh

but also were carbuerated.. this is my first time 'messing with' a fuel injected car

I supose it may the high flow CAT not completly burning up any oil passing through it, I don't have any experience with them.

Just for fum, pull your PCV valve out if the cam cover (leave it attached to the vacuum hose) and start the engine. There is usually a little outflow of vapor.

Give it a little gas while you watch the opening. Does it start really pushing out vapor? if so you may have sticky rings and they cannot control the compression properly.

This can cause excessive pressure in the crankcase and/or when the piston is on an intake stroke it can pull oil past the rings and into the cylinder to be burned along with the fuel. If this is the case, perhaps the stock catalytic converter would handle it better.

Another thing to try is one quart of Marvel Mystrey Oil the next time you need to add oil. It is not a "cure all", but if your rings are sticky it may be able to free them up. There is controversy on whether MMO helps or not, I have found it to work well on numerous vehicles with sticky lifters and rings. MMO works pretty much like a very fine machine oil, with penetrating capabilities.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

I already tried adding a quart of MMO :)

Still no go.. still ticking when i start cold too.. Dunno :/

Wish it was still under warranty so i could have someone to yell at lol :)

Archived