CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

What to do with a used alternator?

BostonETC97

Now that the "rebuild" is over, I've got my previous alternator in a box, sitting in my trunk. It still worked fine when removed, had about 50k miles on it, but did have a mild 'flicker' in the lights at idle.

It never truly 'failed', but I wanted a new one installed while we had everything apart. Now here's the fun part - nobody wants the old unit! I asked my local mechanic if he has a decent alternator rebuilder, and he said "ya", and pointed to his dumpster. :lol: He claims he doesn't even get a core-fee back, and just tosses them.

His logic is that if it's that big of a project to install it, he doesn't want to do it twice. He claimed he hardly ever rebuilds an alternator, and just orders a 'fresh' unit. Ok, fair enough. My thought was that I'd have the old unit rebuilt, and leave it my basement for a spare.

Anybody have any suggestions? Is it advisable to rebuild these units, or should I just toss it and rock-auto a new one when the time comes? :huh:

Yeah, Take it apart and rebuild it yourself. They're not all that complicated. Finding parts might be a challenge though. In the end, even if you never find a problem with it, you won't have lost anything. It may be as simple as the rings where the brushes run need cleaned and trued up, anybody with a small lathe can do that for you.

Basically, if anything is obviously loose, dirty, burnt, or excessively worn, replace it or clean it. Diode packs can be a little tricky to check, but not too bad, and cheap if you can get them. Bearings are an obvious wear item and should be replaced if they show any wear or roughness.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

If it were me, I would have a local starter and alternator rebuild shop go through the unit and then keep it on the shelf as a spare.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I can find a Starbucks and Bank of America with my eyes closed around here, but it'll probably be like finding a needle in a haystack to find a rebuild shop! :lol:

...I'll make some calls today, and get it rebuilt!

I can find a Starbucks and Bank of America with my eyes closed around here, but it'll probably be like finding a needle in a haystack to find a rebuild shop! :lol:

...I'll make some calls today, and get it rebuilt!

There is a rebuilder 20 minutes from me in a small town of 4000 people. I'm sure you'll find several in a large city such as Boston. Look in the yellow pages under Auto Electric Service.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived