CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission Park Sensor or Switch

Intermitantly after moving the shifter into park and turning the engine off, I get a message to put it in PARK. Can I fix this by replaceing a switch, sensor or maybe adjusting the likage? Still in waranty but I prefer to do my own work.

Sounds like either the shift indicator, which is the switch that senses the position of the shifter and signals the transmission, or the actual shift linkage is off.

Honestly, since it is still under warranty I would take it to the dealer and let them diagnose & repair.

Shift Indicator Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the shift control knob. Refer to Shift Control Knob Replacement .

2. Remove the shift control trim plate by lifting the rear of the trim plate up then pull the plate rearward in order to disengage the front retaining tabs.

3. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the shift control trim plate.

4. Remove the center console assembly. Refer to Console Replacement - Front Floor in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console

5. Remove the shift indicator lamp sockets (1 and 2) from the shift indicator by rotating the lamp sockets one quarter turn.

6. Carefully spread the retaining tabs (3) enough to lift the back of the shift indicator (2) up past the retaining tabs (3).

7. Carefully lift upward on the front of the shift indicator (2) in order to release the front retaining tabs (1)

8. Remove the shift indicator (2) from the shift control assembly.

Installation Procedure

1. Lower the shift indicator (2) over the shift control shaft.

2. Align the front retaining tabs (1) with the holes in the shift control assembly.

3. Press down on the front of the shift indicator to engage the retaining tabs (1).

4. Align the rear retaining tabs (3) with the sides of the shift control assembly.

5. Press down on the rear of the shift indicator to engage the retaining tabs (3).

6. Install the shift indicator lamp sockets (1 and 2) to the shift indicator. Rotate each lamp socket one quarter turn to lock in place.

7. Install the center console assembly. Refer to Console Replacement - Front Floor in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console

8. Install the shift control trim plate by inserting the front retaining tabs to the console. Then press down on the rear of the trim plate to engage the rear retaining tabs.

9. Install the shift control knob. Refer to Shift Control Knob Replacement .

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce: Thanks a million. It is still in waranty but I have had bad luck with the local dealer. It can't be more difficult than changing plugs on a ford 5.4. Thanks again.

You should probably start with a code scanner and see what diagnostic trouble codes are showing. Autozone will scan for free I understand. Otherwise you need to pick up a code scanner. Also, if you plan to keep the STS I would pick up a Helms Inc shop manual from www.helminc.com or look for one on ebay. I like the DVD version for easy lookups, but the paper version is nice out by the car.

There is a write-up in the shop manual for adjusting the mechanical linkage from the shift to the transmission also. It could be that if you (safely) put the car up where you can look underneath you can check the linkage to the transmission for play?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce: I have an acutron code reader and will try it tomorrow. I have been sick for the last few days. I appreciate your help. Regards John

Bruce: I have an acutron code reader and will try it tomorrow. I have been sick for the last few days. I appreciate your help. Regards John

Bruce:

Checked for CODES. Nothing. Went to the dealer and they said they could not duplicate the problem. Here we go again. I will have to wait untill falls apart. Unless someone knows how to get the shift knob off. I have a manual but it does not address how to remove the shifter knob. Regards John

Archived