CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Disconnecting Battery

Always disconnect the negative terminal first. Yes you will lose the radio presets, clock setting, and the PCM will be reset and will go through a relearn procedure. You will lose any history codes, any current codes will probably be reset on start up. A code will be set because you disconnected the battery. That is about all that I think it will affect. Mike

I didn't lose any settings at all when I pulled the battery on my 99, and it was pulled for many hours.. even the radio presets were still there ..

I would think so.. there isn't much difference in between 98 and 99.. I think the major difference was between 96 and 97 IIRC.. I'm sure someone will chime in on this :)

I disconnected the battery on my '96 STS the other day. I do not have a comprehensive list of items but many reset. The clock, trip odometer, mileage, run time and most other computer settings were reset. Interestingly enough, the radio presets were retained. I had to reload the CD magazine. Overall, it wasn't really a major pain.

To the best of my knowledge, with a '98 STS, the only thing lost is XX GAL FUEL USED plus anything that is based on that data....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I disconnected the battery on my '96 STS the other day. I do not have a comprehensive list of items but many reset. The clock, trip odometer, mileage, run time and most other computer settings were reset. Interestingly enough, the radio presets were retained. I had to reload the CD magazine. Overall, it wasn't really a major pain.

Phillip, I guess our 96s dont retain their memory, Mike :(

Archived