CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine swap 01 to later model

Cademan310

Hello folks I have quick one I hope. I want to change my 2001 Northstar 9th digit Y to a later model Northstart....Up to what year can I go and is it a compatible swap...For some reason most of the later model engines are cheaper than my years???? Go Figure...Thanks I would appreciate any help on this matter

Notionally I would think 2000-2003 are similar, although certainly there are small year to year changes.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

You have to be careful The 01 engine wiring harness is different than late 02 to 04. The difference is in the suspension wiring. If the car with the newer motor had F55 suspension the engine harness is different. You could transfer the engine wiring harness from the old engine to the new engine though.

You have to be careful The 01 engine wiring harness is different than late 02 to 04. The difference is in the suspension wiring. If the car with the newer motor had F55 suspension the engine harness is different. You could transfer the engine wiring harness from the old engine to the new engine though.

What about an 06 engine complete with harness and PCM? Will that work in an 01...Somehow my engine block has a crack in it and it is leaking antifreeze and it overheats... Have to much invested to sell to someone

I believe 04 is the last year for a seville engine but a deville engine will work up to the new style change in 06 or 07 Also a eldorado engine will work from 2000 to 2002 if you can find one with low mileage.

I believe 04 is the last year for a seville engine but a deville engine will work up to the new style change in 06 or 07 Also a eldorado engine will work from 2000 to 2002 if you can find one with low mileage.

Thanks I have a deville and found an 06 engine with 32K with all that I mentioned above just wanted to be sure it was compatible

A small point but compare the shift lever at the top of the transmission where the cable attaches on the seville engine to the one on the deville motor. The eldorado one is definitely different and so the deville might be also. If so, just switch them. It is held on with a single bolt.

WOW, you guys are out there. This is very interesting

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

What about an 06 engine complete with harness and PCM? Will that work in an 01...Somehow my engine block has a crack in it and it is leaking antifreeze and it overheats... Have to much invested to sell to someone

I have no idea if the '06 engine will interchange or not...

I have a 2006 and love it. It runs so nice.

But, I will say this...in 2006, they use a separate ENGINE CONTROL MODULE and TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE.

In other words...there is one computer module for the engine and a totally different computer module for the transmission.

The one for the engine is in the air inlet box and the one for the transmission is on the firewall...right in front of the driver.

Posted Image

I have no idea if the '06 engine will interchange or not...

I have a 2006 and love it. It runs so nice.

But, I will say this...in 2006, they use a separate ENGINE CONTROL MODULE and TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE.

In other words...there is one computer module for the engine and a totally different computer module for the transmission.

The one for the engine is in the air inlet box and the one for the transmission is on the firewall...right in front of the driver.

Beautifull car...I will look for that as well...the engine I am looking at has the PCM already, I think the 2001 also has a Transmission mod...I believe it is called the TCC will have to check and see if it is compatible....may be as long as the 8th digit in VIN matches...Will have to check

Archived