CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A few questions about 2005+ STS

I'm looking to get a new car in the coming months and have a few questions:

1) Is there any way to read trouble codes on a 2005+ STS?

2) Are there any significant differences between an 05 and an 06 V8 model? It looks like 07 was the first year of the 6SPD transmission, but I havent noticed any differences between 05 and 06.

3) What are trouble areas on these cars? Anything I can look for on a potential purchase?

4) How "good" is this car in the winter/snowy conditions? I know the rear wheels are driving but can it hold traction well? (unlike my friend's Lincoln from the 80s!)

5) The best prices I'm seeing now for a 2006 RWD V8 is around $20k with 60~70k miles. Does this seem like a reasonable price? I had been watching the price of 300c's for some time now, and found that prices have gone up a lot in the last few months (low fuel prices combined with increased consumer confidence maybe?)

Thanks for any advise you may be able to offer me!

edit: added new question

6) I'm currently using trader.ca, autotrader.com, and cars.com to find cars. Are there any other major sites that you know of? Or any auctions/dealerships in metro Detroit that youd suggest?

-Chris

I'm looking to get a new car in the coming months and have a few questions:

2) Are there any significant differences between an 05 and an 06 V8 model? It looks like 07 was the first year of the 6SPD transmission, but I havent noticed any differences between 05 and 06.

3) What are trouble areas on these cars? Anything I can look for on a potential purchase?

4) How "good" is this car in the winter/snowy conditions? I know the rear wheels are driving but can it hold traction well? (unlike my friend's Lincoln from the 80s!)

5) The best prices I'm seeing now for a 2006 RWD V8 is around $20k with 60~70k miles. Does this seem like a reasonable price? I had been watching the price of 300c's for some time now, and found that prices have gone up a lot in the last few months (low fuel prices combined with increased consumer confidence maybe?)

Thanks for any advise you may be able to offer me!

You probably know this already, but just in case you don't, they make the STS in all Wheel Drive also.

About all the help I can give you is...since you are way up north, look for one with All Wheel Drive.

Posted Image

You probably know this already, but just in case you don't, they make the STS in all Wheel Drive also.

About all the help I can give you is...since you are way up north, look for one with All Wheel Drive.

Funny you should say that because I'm actually avoiding an AWD. Although driving all 4 wheels means you can get 'unstuck' easier, I find RWD or FWD much more predictable - hopefully preventing getting stuck to begin with :)

I've had the F-150 for 5 winters now and only used 4x4 in the winter once (the road was slippery and covered in powder... in 2wd I couldnt get past 45mph while keeping the truck straight... the rear wanted to lead).

I'm also considering an 07 DTS just for the front wheel drive

-Chris

Requires a code reader that can read CAN codes. Also if you subscribe to ONSTAR you can ask them.

Changes 2006: 2006: All-wheel drive becomes an available option on V-6 models. Bose 5.1 Studio Surround Sound with Navigation standard on the V-8 1SEpackage. 18-inch wheels available mid-year 2005 on 1SC V-6 and 1SF V-8 RWD. Four exterior colors: Stealth Grey, Radiant Bronze, Blackberry and Infrared

Normal things. Have a mechanic do a complete inspection of the vehicle. Ask for repair and maintenance records.

If you prefer RWD over AWD in the snow then the STS should work for your purpose. Avoid summer tires for all-weather tires, or grab another set of wheels/tires off ebay.

My sense of this is that a good price for a 2005 V6 wiht 40K miles is around US$15K and a V8 a bit higher. However, everything depends on the STS you find, the condition, the records, etc. It can be better to pay a bit more for a lower mileage car in better condition than to scrimp on the purchase.

6) I'm currently using trader.ca, autotrader.com, and cars.com to find cars. Are there any other major sites that you know of? Or any auctions/dealerships in metro Detroit that youd suggest?
I also monitor craig's list (this link for the Dallas area), ebay, and usedcarsplus.com

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks Bruce! I didnt see anythign about how to read codes in the diagnostics page so feared GM may have taken away the ability to read OBD on the dash, oh well.

That Seville changes by year page is useful, I had referred to it in the past but forgot that it existed!

I'll take a look at those sites... forgot how big craigslist was in the States.

-Chris

The 2007 STS is a terific car. My wife had a 99 STS that she loved. She says the 07 even better. We had a 66 GTO years ago. She says the 07 STS is better and has more get up and goooooo! In the rain and snow, the front wheel drive is much better, but heck if you drive the STS you will be hooked.

I think the current STS is a great Cadillac. Because it starts at a higher level of standard equipment than the CTS, and a bit more rear leg room, it is hard to beat for a touring sedan.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived