CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

RFA Code

Seanmannino

Hi all, I drive a 1997 Cadillac DeVille and have been having an issue with a couple of things.

I am pulling codes from the in dash command center and it is giving me an RFA code of 5260. I have searched EVERYWHERE! and am not able to locate any information on this code.

Does anyone here have any idea what is going on?

Thank you,

Sean

Sean M.

1997 Cadillac DeVille

B2560 RKE Message Validation Error

If this is your code, we can work with that. The RKE is the Remote Keyless Entry.

The FSM, page 8A-132-2, has a troubleshooting chart that says to reprogram both fobs if you get this DTC. You will need both fobs, yours and your wife's. One will have the numeral 1 on the back, the other will have the numeral 2 on the back. Make sure that both have good batteries in them. This isn't a given because, although the CR2032 battery can last 10 years, you can kill one in ten minutes by laying something on top of it so the transmitter runs continuously, then going to bed for the night.

The FSM, page 9K-4, gives this procedure for programming the fobs. It begins with a warning that you *must* program both or you won't succeed in the programming, but my dealer did exactly that once, when I had a bad fob on warranty. But, I wouldn't try it. They say that if you have only one fob, program both fob 1 and fob 2 to it. If you find the other fob later, you can always reprogram so that the car responds to it.

I'm going to assume that you have a Digital Cluster (the MPH in digits) and not an analog cluster (conventional needle speedometer with tachometer) because you have a Deville, and I don't think that any 1997 model year Deville used an analog cluster. If you do have an analog cluster, say so and I'll give the procedure for programming it.

Here's the process for a digital cluster:

1. Press OFF and WARM on climate control panel simultaneously. The IPC will light all telltales, go blank, and then enter diagnostic mode.
  2. Press FAN DOWN to scroll through system until RFA? is displayed, then press FAN UP.
  3. Press FAN DOWN until RFA OVERRIDE is displayed, then press FAN UP.
  4. NO OVRD RF S00 displayed, then press FAN UP.
  5. When PGM FOB1 S01 is displayed, press WARM button, 99 will be displayed in left upper corner of IPC just below odometer. System is now ready to program transmitter.
    1. Press and hold the TRUNK button on transmitter.
    2. While holding TRUNK button press the LOCK button and hold for one second.
    3. Hold both buttons for a total of three seconds. Locks cycle when programming is complete.
    4. If transmitter is not programmed within 30 seconds after enering 99 override display, system will default and you must start at step 5 to continue.
  6. To program transmitter 2, press FAN UP. Display will show PGM FOB2 S02.
  7. Follw steps 5 and 6 to program transmitter.
  8. Press RECIRC or RESET to EXIT the system.

EDIT: Whoops, the diagram says to *resynchronize*, not reprogram. That's on page 9K-5 of the FSM, too, and it's a lot simpler:

1. Press and hold the TRUNK button and within one second, press and hold the LOCK button.
  2. Continue to hold both buttons for approximately seven seconds and then release.
  3. If the transmitter was out of synchronization, it will now function properly.
If that doesn't do it, try reprogramming the fobs. If they won't reprogram, or if the error keeps occurring, clean out the contacts inside the fob and try again. If that doesn't do it, get a new fob and program it. The last line of defense is to replace the RFA module.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

B2560 RKE Message Validation Error

If this is your code, we can work with that. The RKE is the Remote Keyless Entry.

The FSM, page 8A-132-2, has a troubleshooting chart that says to reprogram both fobs if you get this DTC. You will need both fobs, yours and your wife's. One will have the numeral 1 on the back, the other will have the numeral 2 on the back. Make sure that both have good batteries in them. This isn't a given because, although the CR2032 battery can last 10 years, you can kill one in ten minutes by laying something on top of it so the transmitter runs continuously, then going to bed for the night.

The FSM, page 9K-4, gives this procedure for programming the fobs. It begins with a warning that you *must* program both or you won't succeed in the programming, but my dealer did exactly that once, when I had a bad fob on warranty. But, I wouldn't try it. They say that if you have only one fob, program both fob 1 and fob 2 to it. If you find the other fob later, you can always reprogram so that the car responds to it.

I'm going to assume that you have a Digital Cluster (the MPH in digits) and not an analog cluster (conventional needle speedometer with tachometer) because you have a Deville, and I don't think that any 1997 model year Deville used an analog cluster. If you do have an analog cluster, say so and I'll give the procedure for programming it.

Here's the process for a digital cluster:

1. Press OFF and WARM on climate control panel simultaneously. The IPC will light all telltales, go blank, and then enter diagnostic mode.
  2. Press FAN DOWN to scroll through system until RFA? is displayed, then press FAN UP.
  3. Press FAN DOWN until RFA OVERRIDE is displayed, then press FAN UP.
  4. NO OVRD RF S00 displayed, then press FAN UP.
  5. When PGM FOB1 S01 is displayed, press WARM button, 99 will be displayed in left upper corner of IPC just below odometer. System is now ready to program transmitter.
    1. Press and hold the TRUNK button on transmitter.
    2. While holding TRUNK button press the LOCK button and hold for one second.
    3. Hold both buttons for a total of three seconds. Locks cycle when programming is complete.
    4. If transmitter is not programmed within 30 seconds after enering 99 override display, system will default and you must start at step 5 to continue.
  6. To program transmitter 2, press FAN UP. Display will show PGM FOB2 S02.
  7. Follw steps 5 and 6 to program transmitter.
  8. Press RECIRC or RESET to EXIT the system.

EDIT: Whoops, the diagram says to *resynchronize*, not reprogram. That's on page 9K-5 of the FSM, too, and it's a lot simpler:

1. Press and hold the TRUNK button and within one second, press and hold the LOCK button.
  2. Continue to hold both buttons for approximately seven seconds and then release.
  3. If the transmitter was out of synchronization, it will now function properly.
If that doesn't do it, try reprogramming the fobs. If they won't reprogram, or if the error keeps occurring, clean out the contacts inside the fob and try again. If that doesn't do it, get a new fob and program it. The last line of defense is to replace the RFA module.

This is in fact the code I went down to the Caddy during my lunch break and confirmed that it is B2560 and will try the re-sync tonight However I do have only one fob with the "2" on the back so I hope this works. Only got the one fob and the gold keys for her when I bought her back in August. And to be honest I am not sure why I stuck to Ford for so many years (recent convert) I love my caddy and would NOT trade it for a trillion dollars. :):D

EDIT:

While sitting in the parking lot at work I tried the Re-sync mentioned above and Jims If'n ya wasn't a man I'd Kiss ya! LOL I have been trying and trying to reprogram my fob for the last I'd say month! and not worked. Did this little trick and works like a charm now Thank you soooooooo much I can now lock my car without having to worry and not scratch up the finish by fumbling around the the door key! Now to move on to the Fuel system being lean...... Btw Jims you mention an FSM? What is this and would it be worthy to purchase if I can locate one?

Sean M.

1997 Cadillac DeVille

Thanks for the kudos. ^_^

Words are more than enough. -_-

You can get a new factory shop manual (FSM) through Helm, Inc. but they are a bit pricey. They are available on eBay and people are steered there for FSMs by others here. The 1997 FSM is two volumes, large paperback format.

I've heard about FSM versions on CD-ROM as PDF files, and have seen some online available through libraries. Perhaps someone here will jump in with a link.

Books you don't need: There is also a detailed transmission overhaul manual for all 1997 model year GM transmissions is a third volume that you don't need unless you plan to rebuild your 4T80E yourself. There's also a thin supplement for the Corvette transmissions that you don't need unless you also have a 1997 Corvette and you plan to rebuild its transmission; it's section 7 of the Corvette FSM. There is a pretty good section on the 4T80E in the two volume FSM for the 1997 Cadillacs that is just find for most maintenance operations and some have used that for a reference for rebuilding their 4T80E.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived