CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

window lift motor question

95-4.6l

Hi all,

I've got both power windows failing on the driver side.

Nasty ratcheting grinding sound and sticking.

When I unmount the lift motors they seem to run ok.

Does this seem to you like the motors are just too weak now or is there a problem with the geared piece they hook into? One of the motors is a remanned replacement I put in that doesn't seem to have lasted that long.

When installing replacement motors should the window be rolled all the way up or down or does it not matter? Don't want to burn through another or damage anything..

Hi all,

I've got both power windows failing on the driver side.

Nasty ratcheting grinding sound and sticking.

When I unmount the lift motors they seem to run ok.

Does this seem to you like the motors are just too weak now or is there a problem with the geared piece they hook into? One of the motors is a remanned replacement I put in that doesn't seem to have lasted that long.

When installing replacement motors should the window be rolled all the way up or down or does it not matter? Don't want to burn through another or damage anything..

I don't know how simular the window regulators are on your 1995 compared to my 2001. But I recently had one installled on the passenger side rear of my 2001 Deville. Mine also was making a grinding / ratcheting sound when the window was going up or down, then something snapped and it would no longer go up or down.

The window shop secured the window in the up position by driving a small wedge between the glass and window ledge, (you could probably hold it up temporarily with a generous amount of painters tape while you work on it). They then cut the cable, and disconnected and removed the regulator. Once the regulator was out, you could clearly see that the plastic pulley was broken.

Due to the cost of a replacement regulator (over $300 from the dealer with a new motor or $110 from Autozone with no motor), I chose to have them lock the window into the up position until I could find a cheaper replacement. I ordered a replacement with no motor from RockAuto for $69 delivered and had the glass shop install it for me. They charged me $39.00 at the time they installed the block, and $20 labor when they actually installed the new regulator with my old motor. Seemed reasonable enough to me. But I watched the installation process and feel I could install it myself next time one goes out.

Check the plastic pulley to see if its broken, you may be able to do so with the regulator still in the car, but, I'm not sure.

2001 Deville, Sterling Silver exterior with Dark Gray leather, 93k miles

Archived