CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

climate control problem

well i have a 92 cadillac seville 4.9 engine, when i start my car the digital dash board goes flat line -- -- and so forth, then the blower comes on and blows outside air and i cant turn it off or change the temp my redefrost doesnt work when this happens anyone have any i dea PLEASE HELP/ IM in Cleveland, Ohio and it's about 2 get cold and need help as soon as possible thank you for ur suggestions ahead of time

This sounds like an electrical problem with the integument panel. This could be a connector, a fuse, a relay, or something else. The first thing to do is to run the OBD codes. Here's how:

Have a pencil and paper handy and write down the codes. They will be of the form

I034 CURRENT

That is, an initial letter (A, B, E, I, L, P, S, or T) followed by three digits. Then you will see C or CURRENT, or H or History, for problems that are currently being detected and those that have been seen in the last several weeks. Here we are looking for I codes that are Current.

You say that you are getting "- -" on your dashboard display, so you dash display may not read out the codes, either. If that doesn't work for you because your dash won't read out the codes, then start by checking the fuses in the Maxifuse block behind and below the air cleaner under a black plastic cover. If anyone has worked under your dashboard lately, look for loose or unplugged connectors where they were working. If not, check everything you can see, particularly the connectors to the back of the digital display and to the back of the radio and A/C controls.

Somebody with a 1992 FSM and its schematics and OBD troubleshooting information should step in shortly.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

thx m8 i did check and the codes come up but there in the car at this momment and my wife got the car lol wow/thanks alot ill try these suggestions and reply later thx again

That is, an initial letter (A, B, E, I, L, P, S, or T) followed by three digits. Then you will see C or CURRENT, or H or History, for problems that are currently being detected and those that have been seen in the last several weeks. Here we are looking for I codes that are Current.

You say that you are getting "- -" on your dashboard display, so you dash display may not read out the codes, either. If that doesn't work for you because your dash won't read out the codes, then start by checking the fuses in the Maxifuse block behind and below the air cleaner under a black plastic cover. If anyone has worked under your dashboard lately, look for loose or unplugged connectors where they were working. If not, check everything you can see, particularly the connectors to the back of the digital display and to the back of the radio and A/C controls.

Somebody with a 1992 FSM and its schematics and OBD troubleshooting information should step in shortly.

Archived