CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

northstar engine 2001 to 93-97 body fit?

jlboire

No. The way the computer looks at the crank sensor had changed. It will fit, but will never work correctly.

No. The way the computer looks at the crank sensor had changed. It will fit, but will never work correctly.

But why ? I gonna install all the electronic from the old one, I gonna put the old crank sensor, so the computer(old one) should be find. I would like more info about your answer? Because I want to install just the block , because I found a new one for very cheap. Or if it have a way to do it?

Thank you.

But why ? I gonna install all the electronic from the old one, I gonna put the old crank sensor, so the computer(old one) should be find. I would like more info about your answer? Because I want to install just the block , because I found a new one for very cheap. Or if it have a way to do it?

Thank you.

The engine block was changed in 2000. The location of the crank sensors changed and the way the trigger wheel was machined on the crank was changed.

The way the crank sensor 'looks' at the crankshaft trigger wheel is different between a 1994 and the 2001 computer systems.

I'm not a expert on these blocks. I would say even a '99 would not work in a '94.

There were alot of changes made to the crank trigger wheel for OBDii misfire detection etc. '94 was ODBi, '96 and latter was OBDii.

It's not like dropping a '72 chevy 350 into a '68.

You would have to research the issues.

If anyone with better info wants to chime in..

I'm not a expert on these blocks. I would say even a '99 would not work in a '94.

There were alot of changes made to the crank trigger wheel for OBDii misfire detection etc. '94 was ODBi, '96 and latter was OBDii.

It's not like dropping a '72 chevy 350 into a '68.

You would have to research the issues.

If anyone with better info wants to chime in..

Here is a quote from the "Guru", it relates to a question regarding a '95.

I think '94 and '95 are the same.

Hope this helps.

Barry

"You can use a 96 or 97 STS engine in a 95. You will need to use the intake system off your original 95 on the replacement engine. Otherwise, the "long block" is virtually identical. The computer for the 95 car will run the engine fine as long as you use the 95 accessories and throttle body and intake manifold and such.....

96 and 97 Northstar engines had a mass air flow sensor and were OBD2 compliant. You cannot hook up the MAF sensor from a 96 or 97 in the 95 but you don't need it as the 95 PCM ran the engine as speed density so the engine itself could care less. Just use the parts off the 96/97 engine that you need to replace the engine in the 95 and use the 95 dress parts on the new engine.

BTW....The earlier engines will not swap into a 98 per the above comments. The 98 STS is a different car and needs an engine mount bracket on the right front corner of the block that is not used prior to 98...so there is no mounting hole in the earlier blocks for it. Only a 98 or later engine will work in a 98."

bbobynski

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Thank you guys ;) it's very helpful, during this discussion I found a web site from company rebuilt Northstar engine and when you need a engine it's 93 to 97, after is 98 to 99 and 2000 and up. Here the website for people like me need a new engine they have very good deal.

http://www.accurateengines.com/remanufactu...6-liter-engine/

Thank you guys ;) it's very helpful, during this discussion I found a web site from company rebuilt Northstar engine and when you need a engine it's 93 to 97, after is 98 to 99 and 2000 and up. Here the website for people like me need a new engine they have very good deal.

http://www.accurateengines.com/remanufactu...6-liter-engine/

I didn't see any mention of Timeserting the head bolt holes. Before I spent $3000 on an engine, I would want to be sure the block was Timeserted. Also, They shopuld be using the latest case half seal with anerobic sealant.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The 1993-1994 engines had different heads because the EGR passages in the heads was blocked off for 1995 and later. The 1995 intake was unique becuase it is OBD II and doesn't use a MAF sensor, as the previous post says. The 1996-1999 are identical except for the motor mount for 1998 and later. I don't know if the 1998-1999 motor mount has a boss that would cause problems in installing that motor in a 1993-1997 car.

One issue in installing a VIN Y engine in a VIN 9 car is that the VIN 9 means that the car has the Touring package that includes 300 hp (or 295 hp for 1993-1994, or 290 hp for early DTS, or 320 hp for some 2000-up) engine and, in the Seville/Eldorado, a 3.71 axle ratio. The VIN Y Northstar uses a 3.11 final drive ratio but the VIN 9 Northstar uses a 3.71 fineal drive ratio. The differential (which incorporates the final drive ratio) can be interchanged out the right half-axle hole of the 4T80E. The PCM will be set up for either the VIN Y or the VIN 9 engine cams and will incorporate checks for transmission and vehicle speed, and you will get a code P0730 (Incorrect Gear Ratio) code if these don't all agree.

EDIT

Changing the PCM in one of these cars requires that the VIN be programmed into it. I'm not sure that this can be done with a used PCM but I think that it can; a dealer or a Goodwrench tech with Cadillac training can tell you. The problem is that most of the modules in the car are programmed with the VIN and have the car's options that are associated with that VIN during production all set up in them. In some cases those need to be modified too. Somethings you can do this with the Override functions but you must have a Tech II to program a VIN into a module.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived