CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

95 SLS control head erratic?

Hi all

I just got a 95 SLS from a friend. The car has sat for about a year,but before that he onlly put about 1500 miles on it in the last 5 yrs. I have and am having a few problems, nothing major but still problems. The one big one is the control head (butttons on both sides of the instrument cluster) is unresponsive at times. I will start the car and it will be all metric, and temperature and DIC buttons are unresponsive. then i will start the car and it is in English but all buttons still unresponsive. Then after driving the car for a while(sometimes 15 min sometime 2 hrs) the buttons will start working and I'll be able to change from metric to english and all of the controls for the temperature start working. Does anyone have any ideas? I just got the car thru inspection and will start driving it a little more, but would like to know if there is anything I could do to possibly solve this?

Thanks Ed

Hi Ed,

I'd give it about a 90% chance that the problems are all in the cluster assembly. The cluster isn't difficult to replace, but it needs to be done by a careful person because many of the screws for the dash pad are hidden behind the a/c vents, and the vents are delicate. Here's a used cluster on eBay for 75 bucks: http://tinyurl.com/y8ugoju

Jeff

Hey Jeff

Thanks for the info. Do you know if there is any kind of reprogramming that goes along with replacing the cluster? I know sometimes there is reprogramming needed with the DIC and the Passlock systems?

Thanks again Ed

I don't think you will need to do anything special. The only thing that won't match will be the mileage, unless you look for a cluster with similar miles on it. When it comes to clusters, I usually get one with the lowest mileage I can find, just to get one with less run-time on it.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ed, Glad to here that everything is working again. I'm a firm believer in doing proper diagnostic testing before replacing parts, but sometimes the better money is on just replacing the item that's the most likely cause of the problem and saving the time-consuming diagnostic work for later, if needed.

Jeff

Archived