CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The first thing I would do is run the OBD codes. Here's how:

If there are no codes, that is information too, maybe low fuel, water in the gas or clogged fuel filter, or the fuel pump. But before we go there, we should do some simple things:

1. See if the OBD codes tell us what the problem is.
  2. Failing that, smell the exhaust for gas after spinning the engine with the starter (if so, there's no spark; if not, there's no fuel).
  3. In a quiet environment, turn on the ignition and see if you can hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds; it's in the gas tank and isn't very loud. (If so, fuel pump is OK!)
  4. Run the starter until the oil light goes out and see if it starts then. (Fuel pump relay!)
One you have these results, people here can get right to your problem and help you fix it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The first thing I would do is run the OBD codes. Here's how:

If there are no codes, that is information too, maybe low fuel, water in the gas or clogged fuel filter, or the fuel pump. But before we go there, we should do some simple things:

1. See if the OBD codes tell us what the problem is.
  2. Failing that, smell the exhaust for gas after spinning the engine with the starter (if so, there's no spark; if not, there's no fuel).
  3. In a quiet environment, turn on the ignition and see if you can hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds; it's in the gas tank and isn't very loud. (If so, fuel pump is OK!)
  4. Run the starter until the oil light goes out and see if it starts then. (Fuel pump relay!)
One you have these results, people here can get right to your problem and help you fix it.

Don't change anything until you have a better idea of what the problem is. The On-Board Diagnostics can help you do that with a minimum of time and money spent.

Please run the OBD codes and write them down, then post them here. The OBD will tell why the MIL light is on because the MIL light is turned on only when the OBD finds things related to emissions. The fuel pump probably isn't the problem because that's one of the few things that won't throw a code, and something threw a code because your MIL light came on. You get driver messages for OBD codes related to safety, driveability, or reliability. Some are silent, turning on no driver warnings but remaining to help with dealer or other maintenance. The OBD codes are of the form

PCM P0171 CURRENT

The first three letters are an acronym for the module that reports the code. The second display, a letter and four numbers, is the code itself. Finally you will see HISTORY if the problem isn't being currently detected or CURRENT if it has been detected since the key was last turned on. Some codes have more complicated logic for CURRENT and HISTORY but we won't go into that here. The FSM and most of us here have data bases of these codes. For the example, I have

P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1

Please follow the link on my first post on this thread for directions on how to read the OBD codes. Have a pencil and paper ready and be prepared to run the codes more than once to make sure that you get them all and have written them down correctly. Then, post them here.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

That looks like a hexadecimal number, FF00, which is not what one would expect. We are talking about a 1996 Cadillac Deville, American sold (not an export model, such as a Canadian or European Cadillac), I presume. You are using the procedure given on the Caddyinfo How-To page (the link that I posted), i.e. turning the key on, pressing the OFF and Warmer buttons simultaneously and holding until all the dashboard warning lights come on and releasing, then watching the driver message panel for codes?

The first thing that should come up is a message like

PCM P1503 CURRENT

or, if there are not codes for the PCM, the message will be

NO PCM CODES

and the display will proceed to the next module, as

NO IPC CODES

or, more likely, something like

IPC U1255 HISTORY

etc. After it steps through these modules in order,

PCM Powertrain control module

IPC Instrument panel computer

ACM Air conditioner module

SDM Sensing and diagnostic module (air bags)

TCS Traction control system

PZM Platform zone module

IRC Integrated radio chassis

RFA Remote function actuator

CCP Climate control panel

MSM Memory seat module

MMM Memory mirror module

PHN Phone

(this is an example; modules for options you don't have will be skipped, and your car may have others not listed here) you will come to a prompt "PCM?" at which point you exit the diagnostic mode by turning the key off. We are interested in PCM codes, which will be the first ones to come up.

I have the analog dash (Touring option, or VIN 9) and you have the digital dash (vin Y). Your buttons and readout will be slightly different. I believe that the diagnostic mode displays on the digital dash are shorter than those on the analog dashboard. Can you get something like the OBD readout that I gave in my last post? I think that the short version on your display, when mine would read

PCM P1503 CURRENT

yours would show something like

P P1503 C

I do think that you should be looking at the driver display and not on the A/C panel. Someone with a digital dash will correct me if I am wrong. Can you get something like that on either of your displays?

The RWD Fleetwood has a completely different diagnostic display vs. the FWD cars.

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER side of the temp rocker. After the segment check, -00 will be displayed. That is the "pointer". Pressing OUTSIDE TEMP will toggle between the pointer and the trouble code. Use the FAN UP/DN to increment/decrement the pointer.

Pointers -00 thru -04 contain the trouble codes. Current codes are two digits and history codes have three digits with a "1" as the first digit. The second and third digits are the trouble code. For example 32 would be a current code and 132 would be the same code although a history code.

Pointer # Parameter Display Range Default value

-00 ECM Trouble Codes

-01 CCM Trouble codes

-02 ECC Trouble codes

-03 SIR (Airbag) trouble Codes

-04 ABS/TCS Trouble Codes

-05 Program number 0-255

-06 Commanded blower motor spd 0-128

-12 Vehicle speed in MPH

-16 Sun load sensor assy 200+ = Dark 240

150- = light

-17 Current temp. valve position 0-255

-19 Temp valve pos. (full hot) 180-250 180

-20 Temp valve pos. (full cold) 5-60 60

-21 Coolant temperature degrees C 90

-22 Commanded temp valve pos. 0-255

-24 Air delivery mode 0-7

-25 Inside air temp sens Value increases as temp. decreases

-28 Outside air temp asm Value increases as temp. decreases

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

ok did that and several numbers came up ranging from 00 to 38. i went thourgh all the numbers, and 01-04 nothing came up with these numbers but 05 had 03, 08 had 120, 13 had 01, 16 had 92, 17 had 122, 18 had 164, 19 had 158, 20 had -155, 21 had -155, 22 had 100, 23 had 58, 24 had 50, 25 had 154, 26 had 100, 28 had 88, 29 had 38, 30 had 57, 31 had 55, 34 had 128, 35 had 128, 36 had 54, 37 had 50, 38 had 04. what are all these numbers for? please help!

If the MIL light is on then there are PCM codes. Did you press OUTSIDE TEMP while the display was reading 00 and 01?

Archived