CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission fluid for 2001 STS

I'm about to change the transmission fluid, the car has done 80 000 miles but it feels good to take care of the car :)

I will drop the pan and empty the drain hole which becomes accessible when the pan is removed.

How much fluid is needed for this?

And which fluid should I buy? I'm thinking if the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, since I have been using Mobil before and can get a good price on their products.

Can you get Dexron VI in Sweden? It costs quite a bit more than regular transmission fluid in the US, but it's the current Dexron and is probably synthetic. The specs on it are very strict. When I dropped the pan on my Oldsmobile back in the spring, I used Dex VI and it shifted noticeably better (might also have been the new filter, though). A friend of mine rebuilt the 4t60E in his Monte Carlo and used VI in it and thought it worked well.

I'm sure that one of the next 3 messages will be about not using Dexron VI in an older transmission, so you might want to hear them out.

....it feels good to take care of the car :)

I will drop the pan and empty the drain hole which becomes accessible when the pan is removed.

There is an easier and less messy way to get all the fluid out of the transmission.

How much fluid is needed for this?

You will need 12 US quarts of fluid.

And which fluid should I buy?

I don't know which brand names are available to you but I would recommend you attempt to find DEXRON VI (synthetic).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived