CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Door chime on my 1997 STS

90IROC

Hi All,

does anyone know how to suppress the door chime in a 1997 Sevilel STS?

I am sick and tired of the ding-ding noise. The sound comes through my driver door speaker.

Can you program it out thru the DIC?

thx

Edited by 1997 Seville STS

I have the same issue with my chime, but have been unable to find a way to program it out. As for suppressing it by pulling a fuse, I wouldn't give that much hope. If I have learned anything in the past few months it is that these cars are incredibly complex pieces of electronic equipment. So many systems are integrated that it is very difficult to know where to start.

I guess my advise is to "grin and bear it". That being said, if you find a solution, please let us know.

No easy way to disable the chime. You would need to tear into the steering column and remove the key present switch. It is much easier to close the door before putting the ignition key into the lock or to stop leaving the keys in the car and the door open.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

When I was looking over the electrical drawings for my '96, I notice two wires between the Radio and the Radio Interface Module labelled Chime (+) and Chime (-). I wonder what would happen if you cut these. If it happened to bugger things up, it should be fairly easy to reinstate them.

I am not necessarily recommending this, it is just something I noticed. Let's call it food for thought.

It is much easier to close the door before putting the ignition key into the lock or to stop leaving the keys in the car and the door open.

:lol::lol::rolleyes:

Sometimes the most simple solutions are the most ellegant!

2001 Deville, Sterling Silver exterior with Dark Gray leather, 93k miles

Yes, taking the keys out of the ignition is simple but I understand 1997 Seville's problem. I have an aftermarket remote starter installed on my car and in order to make it work, they had to put a resistor in the security circuit so the car thinks the key is in the ignition all the time. That means that whenever the drivers door is open the chime is on. It makes cleaning time a little annoying. I chose to tolerate it and do most of the cleaning through the other three doors but if you could disable the chime easily, I would go for it.