CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Should I sell my 98 SLS for a Lexus LS 430 ??

daniel812

I am thinking of selling my 98 SLS with 65k and buying 2004 Lexuse LS 430 Ultra. The Lexus has 104k and will cost $15,500 and I have the service history as it was maintained by the dealer.

Question is....... is it worth it. I have had no problems with my Caddy, although its 11 years old.

I dont know what to do (this Lexus is nice!!) HELP

Bought the Caddy 2 years ago with 50k. Did all the maintenance (tune-up, belts, hoses, tires and brakes - I manage a repair shop so it was fairly inexpensive) and the car has been great. Maybe its me being paranoid, but its 11 years old and things will break. The Lexus is the Ultra Luxury model of the LS 430 which is the top of the line with all the options. It was bought new and serviced by the dealer. I just dont know what to do.......

If you manage a repair shop that takes Lexus and Cadillac, you should be able to evaluate the futures of these cars yourself. I would say that if you keep the engine oil changed and service the transmission every 30,000 miles or so, you can expect reasonable items on the Cadillac to wear out. The expensive items are struts and rear suspension bushings and ball joints, but it you aren't in the salt belt these may not be in your immediate future.

I drive a 1997 Eldorado and I'm not looking. For the $1,500 each of shocks/struts and transmission rebuild that I am looking at in the next four or five years I can't get another car that I would want to drive. Some people are afraid of high-mileage maintenance but if you have a good mechanic or, as in your case, manage a stable of them, high mileage maintenance is far cheaper than depreciation plus low-mileage maintenance, which isn't cheap either, really.

So, from my point of view (and of course yours may differ) the difference is which car you really want to drive. Some people just like to change cars after so many years of any car. If you hare having brand loyalty issues and the Lexus is upscale from your model Cadillac, look at similar Cadillacs. A 2004 CTS with upscale trim (3.6 engine, Bose sound, sunroof, etc. etc. etc.) in "Excellent" condition and 60,000 miles, with a dealer used-car warranty, should run about the same as you are considering paying for the Lexus. Just do a search on the web and look at the car that you *really* want for that kind of money -- before you decide.

One last thing -- 104,000 miles is quite a lot for a 2004 model year car. Leased cars are usually not over 12,000 miles a year or whatever the lease contract says because of over-mileage charges that make the lease un-economical. A car that is driven 20,000 miles a year isn't a commuter car or a daily driver, it's driven all day, every day, probably in urban driving because highway driving would be a lot more miles. Somebody used this car in their job. I would be curious about what job, and in which city the car was driven. The KBB gives a higher price for this car than you are being offered; perhaps this is why. Dealer records or no dealer records, get a CarFAX.

In the final analysis, it's what you want to do, what you want for your daily driver. If you see the car, love the car and the deal, then, really, nothing else matters. Me, I would pick my car, not let a car pick me. But, that's just me -- and maybe you picked this car, I don't know.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

....Maybe its me being paranoid, but its 11 years old and things will break. The Lexus is the Ultra Luxury model of the LS 430 which is the top of the line with all the options. It was bought new and serviced by the dealer. I just dont know what to do.......

It's been my experience with machinery that age is not the enemy. For the overwhelming majority of car owners, the enemy is a failure to perform routine/expected service recommendations as scheduled. Of course, you do not fall in that group.

Your '98 has only 65,000 miles. It sounds like you have an itch for a different ride.

My '98 has only 185,xxx miles and it continues to be a reliable daily driver that gets me from A to B every time I turn the key.

Good luck no matter what you decide!!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Personally, I wouldn't - as others have stated $15,500 is a lot of money for a 5 year old car with ober 100,000 miles on it...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Hey, its all about what you like in a car, how you feel in it. Its a very personal thing. I would tend to think that you are already spoiled. For to me, once you drive a Cadillac, there is NO car that provides you with the same comfort, stability, performance, SMELL, curb appeal, sexyness, feeling of safety, predictibilty, directional stability and bevy of wow gadgets.

That said, the Lexus is a good car, it will be dependable, it will run like a clock, it will be expensive to have repaired, but so is the cadillac, but I have heard friends, who told me that the dealers attitude is, of course its expensive to repair, you are driving a Lexus!

This is a "feeling" thing to me, I like the way I feel. But then again, I am 56 and I or my family have owned 55, 59, 62, 64, 65, 66, 68, 74, 91 and 96 Cadillacs so its part of my blood. You may not have that 'feeling' or the long lineage of Cadillacs I have and you might be satisfied to go from point A to point B. But to me to do it in a Lexus I feel is NOT such a grand style, that is my feeling but as we all know, I am biased, and my opinion means nothing... :lol: It will be dependable but it will have its share of problems as do all cars. Visit the Lexus forums, I heard they are as fanatical as we Cadillac owners and I am sure you will get a different opinion from them.

Lexus = Timex Watch, Vanilla, Jeter, Transporation, Mets, Common, Quiet, and as the guy from Six Flags says, TWO FLAGS!

Cadillac = Space Shuttle, Rocky Road, A-ROD, Arrive Safe in Style, Yankees, Not Common, Loud, SIX FLAGS

The choice is yours after you drive the Lexus, however if you have to ask this question,..........means that the potential for a head gasket problem is in the back of your head, I am not surprised, it always was for me. But you are a mechanic, so that is a benefit.

I would drive the Lexus, it will be nice. If you decide to unload that piece of junk SLS, I'd be glad to take it off your hands cheaply, :lol: after all, I am inheriting the potential that your head gasket would crap out on the way home to my house :lol:

Good Luck with the (easy) decision!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

To consider the question a different way, if I were going to spend $15,500 on a new car would I spend it on an 04 Lexus LS 430? No. The Lexus is a very competent car, but has no soul.

A 2005 Cadillac STS and perhaps 2006 STS can likely be had in that range, with a V6 for economy or the V8 if you prefer a bit more power.

Also up to a 2006 CTS can be purchased for under $15,500.

I lately saw a local 2005 CTS-V for sale by an individual for under that, so that car would still be my personal favorite for $15k. Very different car from the Lexus LS however.

Bruce

2016 Cadillac ATS-V gray/black

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I can't see trading for a car with 40k more miles and paying $15000. Seems like you would be trading down to me. If I were looking to trade the newer car would need to have simular or less miles than the car I was coming out of. Just my opinion.

If you like this particular Lexus that much, by all mean buy it if you want it. But I would advise you to shop around first.

2001 Deville, Sterling Silver exterior with Dark Gray leather, 93k miles

what can you get for your sls? sls models are a bit less desirable so that is another issue. sounds like you want the lexus. i say go for it.

Edited by joeb

I am thinking of selling my 98 SLS with 65k and buying 2004 Lexuse LS 430 Ultra. The Lexus has 104k and will cost $15,500 and I have the service history as it was maintained by the dealer.

Question is....... is it worth it. I have had no problems with my Caddy, although its 11 years old.

I dont know what to do (this Lexus is nice!!) HELP

I agree with Bruce's suggestion.

If you're willing to pay $15,500, then you might as well look for a 2005+ STS. Also, if you're looking at a car with high mileage, you may want to by an OBD-II scanner and check for codes before buying. I purchased my 2005 STS with 150K miles on it and it continues to run fine after 5K more. I didn't scan for codes first but I did run into this suggestion while researching scanners--I think it's a good one. Also, if you're simply tired of the same old car, then even a 2003/2004 STS might be a nice upgrade. Easy to find them for less than $15,500. But I would go for an '05+ STS first.

Seems like you are trying to talk yourself into the Lexus.

They are nice cars...but that one is going on SIX YEARS OLD and has over 100,000 miles on it.

Seems like you could get a better deal than that.

Here is a 2005 STS for about the same price, and it only has 44,000 miles on it.

Depending on the original date of sale..it "MAY" still be under factory warranty.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u...;standard=false

Posted Image

thanks for the responses - I am not sure yet what I will do. The reason I am torn is because its the "Ultra luxury" model - it adds Nav, rearview camera, front and rear heating and cooled seats, massaging seats etc.

so that sounded great to me. As far as practicality goes it has 100k which makes me nervous and yea - there are newer cars with less miles out there for the same price. but according to all the research I have done its a very good price on the car. I need to give it a lot more thought and and let reality set in before making this decision.

thanks for the responses - I am not sure yet what I will do. The reason I am torn is because its the "Ultra luxury" model - it adds Nav, rearview camera, front and rear heating and cooled seats, massaging seats etc.

so that sounded great to me. As far as practicality goes it has 100k which makes me nervous and yea - there are newer cars with less miles out there for the same price. but according to all the research I have done its a very good price on the car. I need to give it a lot more thought and and let reality set in before making this decision.

Daniel,

That does seem to be a really good price on the Lexus. ( I looked it up on KBB) :D

It's probably just me, but I start worrying about a car when it gets over 100,000 miles on it.

I do a lot of road trips, and I worry about something breaking when I am way off in the boondocks and no dealer around to fix it.

I will probably be trading my Cadillac in next fall when the 2011's come out.

It will have about 100,000 on it by that time.

But heck....if that is what you really want...go for it.

We only live once. :D:D:D

Posted Image

You need to do what will make you happy. Not to make the choice even more difficult, but my '05 STS has heated and cooled seats, navigation, Bose stereo, and has a backup warning light, 5spd automatic with ability to switch to manual shifting, magnetic ride control, power moon roof, Xenon headlights, push-button start, etc. However, it does not have the rear video and massaging seats. I would suggest you go to Youtube and search for 2005-2006 STS reviews and maybe it will help you decide. I viewed a few Lexus videos including this one and it looks like a nice care. Here is the

. If you find yourself interested in the STS, I would suggest looking at a fully loaded AWD model. At least you will know what is the top of the line configuration is for the '05 STS compared to the Lexus. Buy what you want, not what we see as best for you. The Lexus is a nice car but I still like the '05 STS's look better.

Good advice Mac, how is the new car now that you have had time to drive it? I like it

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

A car that is driven 20,000 miles a year isn't a commuter car or a daily driver, it's driven all day, every day, probably in urban driving because highway driving would be a lot more miles. Somebody used this car in their job.

I've been driving all my cars between 20000-25000 miles/year since 1992. Just ordinary driving. 54 miles/day seems reasonable if you like driving :P

My logic was based on either a commute of less than an hour and typical weekend driving, or a typical lease with a per-mile surcharge for over 12,000 miles. I drove 16,000 miles a year with a 45-minute commute in the L.A. area and also a similar commute on the East coast, so with more miles on the commute or the weekend it could come to 20,000 miles a year. I would get claustrophobic in a Lexus driving 20,000 miles a year, but that's just me, but that led me to believing that it was used during the workday.

The bottom line remains: get a CarFAX.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

To consider the question a different way, if I were going to spend $15,500 on a new car would I spend it on an 04 Lexus LS 430? No. The Lexus is a very competent car, but has no soul.

A 2005 Cadillac STS and perhaps 2006 STS can likely be had in that range, with a V6 for economy or the V8 if you prefer a bit more power.

Also up to a 2006 CTS can be purchased for under $15,500.

I lately saw a local 2005 CTS-V for sale by an individual for under that, so that car would still be my personal favorite for $15k. Very different car from the Lexus LS however.

If I would sell my 2002 STS today (with 67000 miles on it) for $15000 it would be a bargain here in Sweden...provided that I found a buyer...because swedes are SOOO biased.

My wife bought a Jeep Wrangler Sahara (2004 with 30000 miles on it) for about $15000...it was a bargain too....Chrysler is propably the biggest seller of the "big three" (european Fords not included)

A Jeep and a Cadillac...very different cars and equipment. Equally good to a swede. Don't get me wrong, I like Jeeps..but I love Cadillacs :)

In this country only the mpg counts. You can sit in a matchbox with wheels with your knees over your ears (that's why small cars are so quiet) and that POS would get all the "car of the year" awards. Put the same people in a Cadillac and they will complain from the first second about just anything.

I really need to emigrate before it's too late....

Please let me know if you see a STS-V! ;)

I did a search on "STS-V" on eBay Motors and got 198 hits. A lot of those hits will be parts, but the first page was all cars.

Good advice Mac, how is the new car now that you have had time to drive it? I like it

I like it too! I've received several compliments from people at work. It seems I also get quite a few looks from people driving by as well. It's a nice looking car. I have both Xenon lights working and I must say they are bright. A well maintained used Cadillac is an great buy. I also like the OnStar voice-activated telephone, which I've used several times.

My Mom mad that exact move. She gave me her 98 STS with 58,000 miles on it and bought a 2004 Lexus. She really likes her Lexus. The Caddy needs lots of attention, mostly because of poor maintenance in El Paso, Tx. I am sure there are good mechanics there, but she never found one. One shop did not put the required 7.5 quarts of oil in the engine. Another put the wrong gas in the A/C. Another sold her a fuel pump (why???) and did not seal it properly. The first fill up after the fuel pump work leaked about 2 gallons of gas on the floor of the gas station, could have easily killed someone. I have put lots of hours working on the Caddy and am really happy with it, and at the same time, Mom is really happy with her Lexus. It all boils down to what makes you happy.

I won't get into a Lexus VS Cadillac debate, but it is possible to enjoy both marques.

Within a couple of years, I've owned 4 STS' and 3 Lexus products.

I was very proud of my STS cars, and just as proud to drive my LS430.

Down the road, I'm sure I'll end up owning the newer style CTS in red, and possibly

an SC430. I find I like certain models from both manufacturers.

Pragmatically speaking, it would be foolish to dump a perfectly good SLS.

But, I understand the allure of the LS430. It is a far more modern platform than the 98 SLS.

Then again, so is the Art & Science design of the new STS.

If the service history of the LS checks out, I'd consider it.

The UL series is a pretty rare, one with a very robust drivetrain known for longevity.

Let us know how it turns out, and post pictures.

As you can tell, I like both brands for different reasons.

The Caddy's are a blast to drive, and the Lexus is very soothing and satisfying.

rims009.jpg

REDSTS.jpg

wax69.jpg

KatieEaster030.jpg

P1030101.jpg

Edited by ted tcb

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

SO NOW I HAVE A DILEMMA....... The Lexus checked out great on Carfax and enem indicates when and where it was serviced and comes with service records. Car is nearly spotless. So I am going to end up buying the Lexus. The problem comes in regarding the Caddy. I bought it 2 years ago and did all the service then (tune-up, belts, hoses, tires, brakes, suspension, all flushes) and have flushed the coolant every 6 months (a bit often) and oil changes every 2k. So now that I know the car is great mechanically I see they are basically worthless when you try to sell them. Why is this car only getting $4,000 or so retail ?????

It makes me not want to sell it and have a winter Caddy and summer Lexus. How can I justify getting rid of this car for so little - doesnt make sense to me.