CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ONSTAR police video

On balance, I liked it. Some mixed "Big Brother" feelings, however. I'll think on it.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

OKAY, I've thought about it.

The camel smells.

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I like it! Big brother issues may be a problem until it's your car that's been stolen and OnStar is able to help the police recover it. Suddenly, it's not so bad after all. My '05 STS does not have the slow-down feature; however, OnStar can use GPS to track it should it be stolen--not that my STS is one that is stolen, but it's nice to have in case it is.

I like the new OnStar features. In my Gen 1 OnStar, only I could enable OnStar to perform any changes to my car, like flashing the lights or unlocking the doors, or reporting its location to the police. If my car were stolen I would wholeheartedly enable OnStar to do whatever they could to assist the police in its recovery without harm to the car -- or the theif, minimizing trauma to myself and my family as well as my car. If the permissions are all still mine, not at the discretion of anyone else, it's not Big Brother at all.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Vehicles that have this feature (GPS and ignition kill) should have their insurance premiums dropped

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If the permissions are all still mine, not at the discretion of anyone else, it's not Big Brother at all.

I can't argue with that except to say the authorities might not want to go through the hassle of including you in the loop.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

If the permissions are all still mine, not at the discretion of anyone else, it's not Big Brother at all.

I can't argue with that except to say the authorities might not want to go through the hassle of including you in the loop.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

If your OnStar contract says that they can't release data unless you permit them to do so, then if they do that even once, the legal fallout could cause them to cease to exist. Without such agreement in the contract, most people wouldn't want it. That was in my 1997 contract which was never modified in renewals that ended when analog service ended. I would be very surprised if they could do that. Even if they have a "law enforcement" escape clause in the contract, the authorities won't have a simple way to get to your car's account without the OnStar phone number or the VIN number. They get that when you call for help through OnStar and they call the cops for you, or when you report the car stolen. Check your contract, or research it online yourself.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

If your OnStar contract says that they can't release data unless you permit them to do so, then if they do that even once, the legal fallout could cause them to cease to exist. Without such agreement in the contract, most people wouldn't want it. That was in my 1997 contract which was never modified in renewals that ended when analog service ended. I would be very surprised if they could do that. Even if they have a "law enforcement" escape clause in the contract, the authorities won't have a simple way to get to your car's account without the OnStar phone number or the VIN number. They get that when you call for help through OnStar and they call the cops for you, or when you report the car stolen. Check your contract, or research it online yourself.

Our government, quite freely, relieved GM bondholders of all their rights.

Did you see anything wrong in that?

Did the courts see anything wrong in that?

Were I a bondholder I'd have fought like hell. BUT, not a noise is heard. Ya gotta wonder.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I wonder about the constitutionality of many of the acts since the last election. The Tenth Amendment reads

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Because of this clause, any law or act by the Federal Government not specifically authorized by the Constitution, or supported by a law or act that is in turn supported by the Constitution, lacks authority under the Constitution and thus will be declared null and void if challenged before the Supreme Court. Probably.

Given that, I wonder at any such linkage behind ordering GM to fire Wagoner, for example, or in giving orders in major business decisions such as divestiture and structure to GM and Chrysler. I wonder at the provisions of the current health care bill, such as those that provide for a "public option" or that place requirements on the citizens. Etc.

But we digress. Unless something fundamental has changed with OnStar's contract regarding provisions of information and control of your car to others without your consent, including law enforcement or Government agencies, it isn't Big Brother.

Your point of relevance here, I gather, is that if the Government doesn't scrutinize the Constitution carefully for authority for its actions and agenda as demonstrated rather prolifically in the last several months, why should they stop at accessing OnStar data and controls without your knowledge or consent? My answer would be that it couldn't be done without people finding out. OnStar employees are not screened and put under oath to conceal illegal activities forced on them; not all news outlets are part of the agenda dissemination chain beginning with The 8:45 Call, etc. It would get out.

If it did get out, and many people didn't want it anymore? First, call your credit card company and stop the charges. Then, disable the phone, at least until you get it off the OnStar system. All you have to do to disable your OnStar cellular phone or change its number is ask any cell phone tech (and a lot of others who look up how) to do this; they can in a few seconds. On my car phone, I can turn it off from the handset. I can look in the FSM and disable it with a quick change to the Override Codes as instructed on page 8C1-21 (subtract 16 from IPS03), which is probably a good idea now that there is no longer analog phone service out there. I can pull the fuse. Etc. Then, there are the legal repercussions; if anyone shows any trace of having unauthorized data, call your local police, then any lawyer.

OnStar is not a moneymaker in itself. It's pretty much a break-even proposition, and is maintained by GM as a value-added feature for GM cars. Others, including Ford, Mercedes, and BMW have attempted to field similar or competing services and have found that they could not afford the cash drain. BMW Assist and Lexus Link survive and imitate many of the key OnStar safety features, but they lack the human-centric nature of OnStar, who will stay on the line with you for an hour to give you step-by-step directions if need be, transfer you to an expert or a GM representative on request in a few seconds, look up a business or whatever and discuss it with you before giving directions, etc. etc. etc. The future of "Dashtop mobile" as these services are called may be to provide linkage between GPS navigation and security systems like your home ADT system. Some may provide limited dedicated operator service like Lexus Link and BMW Assist. But OnStar with its extensive human-centric infrastructure remains the Cadillac of these systems and has GM's commitment to its success. Scandals and successful legal challenges to abuse would push a big button in the profit and corporate existence machine.

AFAIK, OnStar is not connected with the MVEDR boxes on most US cars since 2000. And, most of the stuff I have seen quoted from "The Truth About Cars" about OnStar is BS. Examination of the data flow and processing requirements shows that this BS doesn't pass the sanity check.

Archived