CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Anyone know about 92 ETC 4.9 engine NEED HELP

Tone_Kapone

Hey I recently made an account for this website and im looking for someone with some real answers. I bought a 92 Touring coupe about 4 months ago it only had one problem and it was just a minor exhaust leak and wasnt pushing like a cadillac should .Yesterday I went to my car getting ready to leave i turn the key over it breifly starts but then cuts out on me . I crank it over a few more times and it does the same thing. I applied a little gas then its starts fine but i have to keep my foot on the gas at 1,000 rpm for 5-10 seconds then its fine agian. This happend to me all day today so I i checked it out i assumed it came from the Carburetor because the little wheel doesnt click as often as it usually does . I reved up the engine and sprayed the Carburetor cleaner inside of the carburetor an something strange happenend my brother was holding the brakes while i sprayed and it seemed like it slipped out of gear or something like it after you put it in park then release the brakes type . I happenend to me 4 times. Now my gas mileage is a little better but the engine still lacks power, car stills starts up and cuts and now it shifts late 1st gear shifts at about 3000 to 3700 rpm ...If theres anyone that knows how to solve this problem let me know because i dont....also after i sprayed the cleaner my Engine Service Lights are on now

Edited by 92'ETC

What do you mean by "It wasn't pushing like a Cadillac should"??? What are you describing as the "little wheel"? Are you referring to the idle speed control motor?

Your car does not have a carburetor, it has multi-port fuel injection. The device you sprayed with cleaner is a throttle body.

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel, write down any codes that are displayed and post them as a response to this thread. Don't start a new thread.

Edited by KHE

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Now my gas mileage is a little better but the engine still lacks power, car stills starts up and cuts and now it shifts late 1st gear shifts at about 3000 to 3700 rpm ...

The description above is one of the classic symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter. Try getting under your car and knocking on the CAT with a rubber mallet and hear for rattling. If it rattles, the CAT is bad. You could also have your exhaust system tested for back pressure.

IPB Image

What do you mean by "It wasn't pushing like a Cadillac should"??? What are you describing as the "little wheel"? Are you referring to the idle speed control motor?

Your car does not have a carburetor, it has multi-port fuel injection. The device you sprayed with cleaner is a throttle body.

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel, write down any codes that are displayed and post them as a response to this thread. Don't start a new thread.

My mistake I don't really know about cadillac engines Im sure its the speed idle control the wheel thats pushes the throttle thing an its clicks over when i turn the car off.. sorry if this sounds kind of funny because this is my first cadillac ...off and warmer buttons? do you mean the one that displays the oil change, low fuel under the analog?

It sounds like you have a bad SPRAG in the transmission based on this statement you made, this is a common problem with the tranny

"I reved up the engine and sprayed the Carburetor cleaner inside of the carburetor an something strange happenend my brother was holding the brakes while i sprayed and it seemed like it slipped out of gear or something like it after you put it in park then release the brakes type . I happenend to me 4 times"

This is the description of a bad sprag....if you rev the engine in park, it will make a noise and the car will jump forward slightly. My sprag destructed itself and destroyed the transmission

Check your FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm