CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Opinions wanted

JohnnyG

Found a 1991 Allante convertible, Diamond White, black top, 53,000 miles, perfect showroom condition, $12,500. This would be the perfect match for my 1999 Diamond White STS. This year had the 4.5 V8, the Northstar was not put in till 1993. How many of you have a 4.5, or past expierience with that engine? The guy that has it says he is getting 4 more of various years, would anyone care to suggest which year Allante was the best or most desirable. I know they were overpriced when new, and that some had two tops, a cloth and an aluminum, just don't know too much about the car or the 4.5 other than that. Tips?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I had an '89 Sedan de Ville with a 4.5 engine. It had 114,000 miles on it when I bought it and 192,000 when I sold it 4 years later.

The only engine repairs I remember having to make were things like hoses, belts, plugs, rotor cap, and motor mounts. There could well have other things but they weren't major enough to remember.

The car always ran strong and performed well for a fairly big and heavy car.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I owned an '89 (from 93 to 98) - red - got it with 45k, sold it 5 years later with 54k - sold it for what I paid for it...that's the definition of a great car! You just gotta do the usual Cadillac aluminum engine thing - frequent oil changes, annual radiator and engine flush and new coolant with the sealer tabs... at a dealer...don't let Jiffy Lube or Sears "back flush" it!..aluminum hood and trunk - don't hit or ding them...but the paintless dent removal guys can remove easily without repaint

I now own a '93 - pearl red, 80k with the Northstar - really quick and I always get asked - is it new?- you will too - they hold up nicely.

join the Cadillac-LaSalle Club (www.cadillaclasalleclub.org) - we have an Allante Chapter - you'll automatically be a member

I'm crusing to the 2004 Cadillac Grand National in South Bend, IN 23-26 June at the downtown Marriott - stop by - see some Cadillacs and many Allantes

{My Allante is for sale..I've got 3 in college right now..but I'll still keep rolling in my '93 STS with 194k!}

I have had my '91 for almost 10 years now, it has had all the typical brake and electrical problems, but its up to 114,000 miles and is still holding together. My biggest complaint is that the ride can be a bit harsh and there is a lot of body shake on rough roads - but then again, the roads here in Cleveland are probably worse than those in Afghanistan. Personally, I would choose a '93 for the Northstar and more reliable brakes, but I have no plans to part with the 91 anytime soon, it's just too much fun.

The hardtop was made optional at some point (1990?), so it is possible that the one you're looking at never had one.

Thanks guys! I just found out today that I "missed" the Diamond white...the dealers "wife" bought it, yeah right. Anyway, I'm definitely a do-it-yourselfer and a brake bleeder, as you well know if you've been following my posts for the last couple of years. Thanks for the great tip, I probably would have not gotten that advice from anywhere but here. Now I have to debate whether to tell the new owner or not...I more than likely will.

As little as I've read, and it's not been on Allantenet just yet, Iwould agree with you Guru, pre '93.

I'm going to wait to see what the OTHER FOUR look like. If they're nice, do you know anyone interested? I like the sound of Pearl Red.

Caddyjack, I just came back from Southbend, IN last week, home of the Fighting Irish....didn't even know that till I got there. Anyway, tell your members NOT to stay at the former Holiday Inn (now Quality Inn) in the main building at least. They glassed in the balcony and now the chlorine fumes from the pool are unbearable!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived