CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I just found out today that one of my pulleys needs to be replaced, but I don't know the name of it and neither did the guys at Advance Autoparts. It is a small pulley on a tensioner on the driver side of the engine of my 4.6 '95 Eldorado. It's not on the main pulley system, but on the smaller system where the water pump and thermostat are located(?). The guys at the autoparts were trying to give me the main tensioner pulley which is way too big (approx. 3-4 inches diameter) and the pulley I need couldn't be more than 1-1.5 inches diameter. Then they thought it was a timing chain pulley, but it's not, it's a small rubber belt system just at the end of the front valve cover. Hopefully someone here knows exactly what I'm talking about and can help me out with the name of the part I need.

I just found out today that one of my pulleys needs to be replaced, but I don't know the name of it and neither did the guys at Advance Autoparts. It is a small pulley on a tensioner on the driver side of the engine of my 4.6 '95 Eldorado. It's not on the main pulley system, but on the smaller system where the water pump and thermostat are located(?). The guys at the autoparts were trying to give me the main tensioner pulley which is way too big (approx. 3-4 inches diameter) and the pulley I need couldn't be more than 1-1.5 inches diameter. Then they thought it was a timing chain pulley, but it's not, it's a small rubber belt system just at the end of the front valve cover. Hopefully someone here knows exactly what I'm talking about and can help me out with the name of the part I need.

You are looking for a water pump drive belt tensioner assembly. And I would not expect an aftermarket parts supplier could provide the correct part.

Bite the bullet and buy the OEM part from a Cadillac dealer parts counter. Have your VIN handy.

OR it is possible that all you need to replace is the bearing in the pulley. If that is the case, you "could" remove and disassemble your pulley and capture the bearing number. It might take a day or three to have the correct bearing delivered to your mailbox.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

www.rockauto.com has the water pump tensioner puller with bearing. Everyone else makes you buy the whole tensioner assembly which is ridiculous.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

www.rockauto.com has the water pump tensioner puller with bearing. Everyone else makes you buy the whole tensioner assembly which is ridiculous.

click the link at the bottom of my message for 5% off at RockAuto.com

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

After some researching yesterday I found the part, which is the Water Pump Tensioner Pulley. I called around and found the part at Advance (not the one I first went to) for $51. Could've gotten the same one for nearly half the price online but didn't want to wait. It's on and working.

After some researching yesterday I found the part, which is the Water Pump Tensioner Pulley. I called around and found the part at Advance (not the one I first went to) for $51. Could've gotten the same one for nearly half the price online but didn't want to wait. It's on and working.

Good job.

Sometimes we just can't wait for ordered parts to arrive.

Posted Image