CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Upgrade

adallak

Two days ago I donated my 1991 Seville with 174,500 miles on the clock to charity. It was with me for nearly ten years, shared with me good times and not so good ones. It was really sad to leave it in a parking lot in Waterloo, NY with plates removed... I'll miss it!! :(

My new toy is a 1995 Fleetwood Brougham with 84,000 miles. The owner was a 86 years old lady, a "snowbird". This is a different car, different character and yeah it is huge! :D There are a couple of history codes I should take care of. Otherwise the car seems to be in good shape. We will see. :)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Hey Congrats! :-( I guess my 91 grill was 'donated' also! :lol:

Can't wait to see pics!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Many times old History codes are from car-wash shorts or stuff like that. Clear the codes and see if anything comes back.

Congratulations on your fine car. A snowbird won't have driven the car in salt slush, so you can likely figure on good luck with the under-car stuff like shocks and struts, and fewer electrical issues with the sensors than a lot of salt belt people. Take good care of it.

Of course, the first thing I would do with a nice used car is change the oil, filter and coolant, and look at the PCV valve and serpentine belt. I woujld also consider having the transmission serviced. The hoses are neoprene and don't rot like in the older cars so you can just check them for damage. And, put in a tank or two of top-tier high-test gas like Exxon/Sun/Shell/Whatever 93 octane and run that through the car. The second tank, which should be a couple of weeks after you first get it, might well begin a nice 500 mile trip to get all the juices flowing in the car again.

:nopicssmiley:

Use your cell phone if you don't keep a digital camera handy.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Many times old History codes are from car-wash shorts or stuff like that. Clear the codes and see if anything comes back.

Congratulations on your fine car. A snowbird won't have driven the car in salt slush, so you can likely figure on good luck with the under-car stuff like shocks and struts, and fewer electrical issues with the sensors than a lot of salt belt people. Take good care of it.

Of course, the first thing I would do with a nice used car is change the oil, filter and coolant, and look at the PCV valve and serpentine belt. I woujld also consider having the transmission serviced. The hoses are neoprene and don't rot like in the older cars so you can just check them for damage. And, put in a tank or two of top-tier high-test gas like Exxon/Sun/Shell/Whatever 93 octane and run that through the car. The second tank, which should be a couple of weeks after you first get it, might well begin a nice 500 mile trip to get all the juices flowing in the car again.

:nopicssmiley:

Use your cell phone if you don't keep a digital camera handy.

Thanks Jim!

The oil was changed by a dealer some 2,000 miles ago. The ATF and the filter were changed 8,000 miles ago. I know nothing about the coolant except that it is ethylen-glicol and coolant supplement pellets were not added by the dealer. Yep, despite it is cast iron block the FSM which I bought before I got the car indicates two pellets should be added. The serpentine belt looks brand new. The engine bay is amazingly clean. The engine is unbelieveably quite. The first time I started the car I went out to make sure it was running! :lol: When the engine of my 1991 Seville was running not only I but also tall the neighbors knew that. :D I missed that 93 octane thing as i filled it with 87 right away and made 400 mile trip to MA from upstate NY. I have got some pictures but did not have time to play with photobucket yet.

Congrats on the purchase! No need to run premium in the Fleetwood at all - it is spec'd. for regular gas. You could use premium but you won't notice any benefit.

I use the sealant pellets in my Fleetwood - I have since the first coolant change when it was 2 years old.

A couple things I would recommend: 1) Siphon off the brake fluid in the master cylinder, wipe the reservoir and then bleed all four wheels to get fresh brake fluid in the system. 2) start looking for a '95 service manual set.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Congrats on the purchase! No need to run premium in the Fleetwood at all - it is spec'd. for regular gas. You could use premium but you won't notice any benefit.

I use the sealant pellets in my Fleetwood - I have since the first coolant change when it was 2 years old.

A couple things I would recommend: 1) Siphon off the brake fluid in the master cylinder, wipe the reservoir and then bleed all four wheels to get fresh brake fluid in the system. 2) start looking for a '95 service manual set.

Thank you, KHE!

I'll take care of brake fluid as soon as I have a chance.

I bought a set of FSM before I bought the car! :lol: I am so happy I had it with me while driving the car home from Siracuse, NY. On the way back a Lexus passed me FAST despite I was doing 85MPH. I have accelerated and we got even at about 97 MPH. When suddenly the Fleetwood would slow down despite the pedal was all the way down. SES light came on. I pulled over to see what happened. The engine was shaking violently. :o I stopped it, ran diagnostics. Found 00-55 code -ECM noticed lean condition. Opened the FSM. Appeared to be caused with lack of fuel under heavy acceleration. THEN I have noticed that my fuel gauge was blinking. Probably I was running out of gas, and on a steep grade the fuel pump could not pick up enough fuel from the tank. Jeez, what a relieve! :D

I will miss the driver info center on my 91 Seville. The Fleetwood does not give much information without pushing a lot of buttons... The driver seat is strange. The steering column is a few inches off the center of the seat! I need to make some kind of backing up assist ASAP. Will probably use some lasers, have plenty of them. :D

Congrats! Sounds like an awesome car! May it bring you many years of happiness and many miles of trouble-free service!

I'd love to see some pics!

Thank you! I'll post some pictures in a week or so.

Thank you, KHE!

I'll take care of brake fluid as soon as I have a chance.

I bought a set of FSM before I bought the car! :lol: I am so happy I had it with me while driving the car home from Siracuse, NY. On the way back a Lexus passed me FAST despite I was doing 85MPH. I have accelerated and we got even at about 97 MPH. When suddenly the Fleetwood would slow down despite the pedal was all the way down. SES light came on. I pulled over to see what happened. The engine was shaking violently. :o I stopped it, ran diagnostics. Found 00-55 code -ECM noticed lean condition. Opened the FSM. Appeared to be caused with lack of fuel under heavy acceleration. THEN I have noticed that my fuel gauge was blinking. Probably I was running out of gas, and on a steep grade the fuel pump could not pick up enough fuel from the tank. Jeez, what a relieve! :D

I will miss the driver info center on my 91 Seville. The Fleetwood does not give much information without pushing a lot of buttons... The driver seat is strange. The steering column is a few inches off the center of the seat! I need to make some kind of backing up assist ASAP. Will probably use some lasers, have plenty of them. :D

When the LOW light on the fuel gage starts blinking, it is time to start looking for fuel - there is very little range left when it begins to blink. The speed limiter starts to shut down the fuel at 110 MPH.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

(Adallak, didn't I tell you KHE would be a big help!)

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

(Adallak, didn't I tell you KHE would be a big help!)

Mike,

KHE already shared some very valuable insight via several PMs. I am sure I will have more questions for him. :D

Archived