CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oil Change

gregj1006

Nope. In fact, if you keep it at the "ADD" mark, or just a little above, that would be perfect.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

At 7.5 quarts I'm a little low on the dip stick.

I add the extra 1/2 quart to get it up to the full mark.

My 93 Eldo with 210K miles goes through one quart of oil every 2500 miles. It has the infamous half case leak, and the quart of oil is much cheaper than the repair.

My Eldo doesn't appear to be burning any oil, and the oil is changed every 5k miles. This means that I'm adding one quart of oil in between changes.

Prior to the oil change, I add a quart of fuel oil to the crank case and drive it for a couple of miles and then change to

the oil. This keeps the inside of the engine looking like new. No gunk or build up of any kind. I'm not recommending that you do this, but it works for me.

Edited by BSchlossmann

The use of light oil (fuel oil) as a temporary additive to dissolve sludge is a good idea, so long as you are careful not to run the engine long, hard or hot (fire hazard) before you drain it. Some people use a quart of oil intended for diesels or commercial engines for the same reason. Others, like myself, spring for the extra cost of synthetic oils to keep the insides of their engines clean.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

How much oil should i put in my 2003 Deville when changing? Manual i have suggests 7.5 quarts, however it seems low on dipstick. Should i add another quart?

Thanks in advance for any replies..

It looks low on the dipstick because the oil added at an oil change is cold. With a 7.5 qt oil pan, it will expand when hot. The stick is calibrated for "hot" oil level. Use 7.5 quarts of oil with a new filter. Drive the car for at least 10 miles and then check the oil level - with the oil hot, it will be at the proper level on the dipstick.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

How much oil should i put in my 2003 Deville when changing? Manual i have suggests 7.5 quarts, however it seems low on dipstick. Should i add another quart?

Thanks in advance for any replies..

It looks low on the dipstick because the oil added at an oil change is cold. With a 7.5 qt oil pan, it will expand when hot. The stick is calibrated for "hot" oil level. Use 7.5 quarts of oil with a new filter. Drive the car for at least 10 miles and then check the oil level - with the oil hot, it will be at the proper level on the dipstick.

Thanks Kevin, Appreciate your response.