CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing Northstar Oil Pan Gasket

MAC

I'm just curious if anyone knows how much one could expect to pay to have a '94 Northstar oil pan gasket replaced? I know someone who spent $550 to have it replaced. I tend to believe this is a good price considering the engine cradle needs to be dropped.

I'm just curious if anyone knows how much one could expect to pay to have a '94 Northstar oil pan gasket replaced? I know someone who spent $550 to have it replaced. I tend to believe this is a good price considering the engine cradle needs to be dropped.

To make it worth $550, at say $4.00 per quart of dead dinosaur oil leaking, that would be 137 quarts of oil used, or leaked out. Unless it is an absolutely porous oil leak, it might be far more cost effective to simply top off with oil as needed.

To make it worth $550, at say $4.00 per quart of dead dinosaur oil leaking, that would be 137 quarts of oil used, or leaked out. Unless it is an absolutely porous oil leak, it might be far more cost effective to simply top off with oil as needed.

But that 137 quarts of oil sure would make a big oil spot on my driveway.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Posted Image

If the cradle has to be dropped...I would think that is a very good price.

Posted Image

If the cradle has to be dropped...I would think that is a very good price.

I think it's a good price also. To my recollection this issue came up before and someone mentioned something like $800 or more. The factory Service Manual says to remove the engine (pg. 6A2-27). If the cradle is dropped, the left side exhaust crossover pipe is still going to be in the way, so success at removing the oil pan would require unbolting the exhaust pipe as well, including the support bracket that is at the left rear of the transmission since it not only supports the exhaust pipe, but also, is one of the oil pan bolts. The point is that it's not an easy job and labor intensive. I would think that $550 to replace a 90s Northstar oil pan gasket is about the best price one can hope for.

Also, New Jersey inspection stations are now failing cars that leak oil because oil on roads can make it dangerous for motorcycles. This is what I heard. I was told that someone's car actually failed inspection because of an oil leak.

This is one thing that annoys me, why wasn't the carriage designed to allow easy access to the pan.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Are you sure that's the gasket? What if it leaks from plug gasket or some other place besides the pan gasket?

$500! No way I would pay that much for oil pan gasket replacement! Non-caddillac folks cannot miss this one...

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I think it's a good price also. To my recollection this issue came up before and someone mentioned something like $800 or more. The factory Service Manual says to remove the engine (pg. 6A2-27). If the cradle is dropped, the left side exhaust crossover pipe is still going to be in the way, so success at removing the oil pan would require unbolting the exhaust pipe as well, including the support bracket that is at the left rear of the transmission since it not only supports the exhaust pipe, but also, is one of the oil pan bolts. The point is that it's not an easy job and labor intensive. I would think that $550 to replace a 90s Northstar oil pan gasket is about the best price one can hope for.

Also, New Jersey inspection stations are now failing cars that leak oil because oil on roads can make it dangerous for motorcycles. This is what I heard. I was told that someone's car actually failed inspection because of an oil leak.

If you were able to remove the exhaust pipe without removing the engine, you may be able to access the oil pan bolts. I would ask the shop to describe their procedure in detail - that may help to make an informed decision.

I would think all the potholes and rough/bad road conditions are FAR more dangerous to murdercycles....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If you were able to remove the exhaust pipe without removing the engine, you may be able to access the oil pan bolts. I would ask the shop to describe their procedure in detail - that may help to make an informed decision.

I would think all the potholes and rough/bad road conditions are FAR more dangerous to murdercycles....

Because the left exhaust pipe crosses over the oil pan and even if it was unbolted from the manifold I doubt that it could be maneuvered out of the way. With the cradle dropped it might be possible to slide the oil pan to the right side and then remove it? But then it will still be a task to remove the 13mm exhaust bracket/pan bolt at he left rear corner of the pan. Also, the transaxle is in the way to some extent. A 1/4 socket driver with a 10mm socket will have to be used to get the back pan bolts that are recessed near the trans. This is why the factory manual says to remove the engine. If it wasn't a front wheel drive I suspect the oil pan would be designed where it could be easily removed.

I remember a thread years ago that showed the engine being supported on top by frame that attached to the strut towers. This held the engine in place while the cradle was removed to replace a case half. I would be sure that the same procedure would work for the oil pan, thus the engine would not have to be removed from car. I know the cheapest price I found for engine removal was $1200.00 and that was 10 years ago. $550 sounds like a really good deal. I have heard of people loosening the bolts allowing the pan to be lowered a little and then they slid some silicone gasket sealer into the crack and retightened. You have to be carefull not to smear too much into the pan though.

Archived